Are ski-mojo braces compatible with PMTS movements?

PMTS Forum

Are ski-mojo braces compatible with PMTS movements?

Postby barmatage » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Ski-mojo braces support approximately 30% of the force that the knees must deal with when skiing. They do this through the use of springs which force the legs to extend. In fact, before you get on a chair you must inactivate them. Otherwise, the braces will cause the legs to straighten and stick straight out as you sit on the chair . They have been shown to be very effective in eliminating pain and protecting the knee joints of skiers suffering from arthritis in the knee joints. I am considering whether this would be a viable option for me. However, I am a PMTS instructor and use PMTS movements when skiing. This means that in the transition I have little or no weight on my skis and my legs are equally flexed. But what happens when I am wearing the mojo-braces? Will the mojo braces prevent or at least resist my attempt to flex my legs (particularly the outside leg) to release? Furthermore, will the mojo brace resist my attempt to shorten my inside leg which has very little weight on it in order to tighten my arc? I could answer these questions by trying a pair of mojo braces. Unfortunately, other than France, there does not appear to be any place where you can demo them. Has anyone used these braces that use PMTS Movements to ski?
barmatage

Re: Are ski-mojo braces compatible with PMTS movements?

Postby h.harb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 am

I have seen them and acquired a set before my surgery. It is a complicated device, and needs to be dialed in by someone who knows how to use it. I never used it because of the inconvenience factor. I think it's better than CADs, which really screw up your skiing. CADs put you in the back seat and don't allow much tipping. I think you have to make a decision, are you satisfied with the knee braces or will you need a knee anyway at some point. I say if you have good insurance and you want to ski, get a knee replacement. They work for the rest of your life.
h.harb

Re: Are ski-mojo braces compatible with PMTS movements?

Postby barmatage » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks Harald for your response. Since I made this post I have had both knees x-rayed and I have had an MRI of the left knee. With the exception of minor arthritis in both knees which is consistent with my age (72 years) and minor cartilage thinning, my knees are OK. I do suffer from patellar instability according to the orthopaedic surgeon which she believes is causing the pain behind the knee caps. She supplied me with a series of exercises which are to be used with with an Electronic Muscle Stimulation Unit. I have ordered the unit and will be seeing a physio to show me how to use it in conjunction with the exercises. I am hopeful this will make a difference. Thanks again. Happy skiing, Bill
barmatage

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System