What are the toes doing when you tip?

PMTS Forum

What are the toes doing when you tip?

Postby noobSkier » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi, long time lurker here! I started with the PMTS material a few years back and I can definitely say that, through diligent practice of the exercises & a conscious effort to apply the essentials, my skiing has improved ten-fold. Thank you Harald! I've really taken my carving to a new level through the system, but my goal this season is to really focus on developing analog control of my tipping movements. I've been drilling the heck out of the two-footed and one-footed release...and failing miserably. I will follow up with video, but I think there might be something missing in my tipping technique. I've been pouring over the forum, using google to find every post related to tipping, but theres one thing that I'm not sure has ever been brought up.

What are the toes actually doing when the ankle inverts or everts? What I started doing last season is lifting my toes right up into the toebox. I found that it gives me a deeper eversion, but it might also be totally wrong and ruining my efforts in the two-footed & one-footed release. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you!
noobSkier

Re: What are the toes doing when you tip?

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Curling or lifting your toes would have an effect on how you balance on your foot so I would advise against it. We can provide more feedback if you give us video to look at. It could be that your alignment is incorrect, therefore you are forced to make other movements inside the boot to compensate. This is not ideal.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:05 am

Check out Diana's Indoor Training video (sure it's 10 bucks ... but more than worth it). All will become clear. Yes, the toes move, but only because they are connected to the foot. And they could touch the top of the boot. But they don't "lead" the action...it's a consequence.

http://harbskisystems.com/collections/evideos/products/essentials-indoor-introduction-evideo
NoCleverName

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:52 am

I never think about, feel, or am aware of my toes, skiing anywhere. There are much more important things to concern yourself with.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:15 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Curling or lifting your toes would have an effect on how you balance on your foot so I would advise against it. We can provide more feedback if you give us video to look at. It could be that your alignment is incorrect, therefore you are forced to make other movements inside the boot to compensate. This is not ideal.

Or the boots don't fit. Is there any skiing error more common than too-big boots? Anything that is a bigger immediate help than boots that fit just right, the closest just-right fit out of the box? The right internal size and shape for that skier's feet & ankles and body geometry?
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby noobSkier » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks Harald and everyone else for your insights. As usual, it looks like I've been overthinking it! Thanks NoCleverName for suggesting Diana's new video, incredibly informative. Hopefully I can post some MA for you guys to look at this week.

Thanks again!
noobSkier

Postby Erik » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:34 am

Q. What are the toes doing when you tip?
A. They are tippytoes
Erik

Postby blackthorn » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:35 pm

There are times when I have felt my toes "gripping the footbed"; other times extending and impacting the upper part of the toe box. I think that when things are working well, my toes are neutral and relaxed. That's what I expect when I concentrate on PMTS based movements. I use my toes only as an indicator. When the flex/grip or extension feelings are occurring, I determine that I am doing something wrong, and I focus back on my PMTS movements.
blackthorn

Postby cheesehead » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:25 pm

My toes are usually too cold to feel anything!
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:20 pm

That's funny, I was just about to post , "my toes are trying to stay warm", that's what they are doing. Anyone who thinks they have to do something with their toes to ski better, has barked up the wrong ski school system for way too long.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System