Going to Denver for 5 days - which resorts should I try?

PMTS Forum

Going to Denver for 5 days - which resorts should I try?

Postby nickia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:41 am

Hi all,

I've decided to fly to Denver for HSS alignment and will be staying for 5 days and will be staying at Keystone. I've never ski on anything bigger than 300ft so I'm very excited see some real mountains.

1. Keystone
2. Loveland
3. A-basin
4. Breckenridge
5. Beaver Creek
6. Vail
7. Copper

Since I'll be staying at Keystone, it makes sense to go there for a day. I'm also looking to go back in April for some coaching so will be getting a A-Basin pass. Where else should I spend my last two days?
nickia

Re: Going to Denver for 5 days - which resorts should I try?

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:57 pm

When will you be there?
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Yes mid week is very different than weekends.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby nickia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi Max,

I will be there from feb 12 to feb 17 so Sunday to Friday.
nickia

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Well I am a little biased, but I would highly recommend skiing with the summit gang at keystone. At least two of the days. You will learn a lot.

Then if you want to ski a BiG mountain, you really need to ski Vail at least once. For all the negatives about Vail Resorts, Vail mountain is just awe-inspiring. The snow, the front side, the back bowls, the vistas...Vail really is different.

It's also huge...you cannot begin to ski it all. I work with guys who have been here 25 plus years and they will say they have not skied all of Vail.

WELL worth the drive over the pass...pm me if you (or anyone else) would like a tour. I am in working in uniform Wednesday thru Friday that week but could be available Tuesday....

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby nickia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks Steve. Do you know who are in the summit gang? I'm very interested to ski with some PMTSers at Keystone or other resorts. Do I need to flash any gang sigh to identify myself at the lodge? :lol:

I definitely want to go to Vail since it is the big gun. What time do you typically ski? I can definitely make a trip there on Tuesday and do a meet up. Thanks for the offer.
nickia

Postby Vailsteve » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:14 am

Hi nickia!

For the summit gang, pm geoffda (Geoff) and JMD (James). Geoff is a blue level PMTS instructor. Both live in keystone and are always willing to ski and help as much as you want. They ski almost every day Monday to Friday for two to three hours.

As for vail, the lifts open at 8:30. It will take approximately 50 minutes to drive from keystone to vail. I live in west vail and you are more than welcome to park at my house (avoid paying the 25.00 parking fee..). There is a free bus that takes us right into Lionshead.

If you are an early riser, we could catch the 8:21 bus and be on the mountain by 9:00 am. My cell is 303-885-0367. Feel free to call or text and we can firm up directions/times.

I don't think you will be disappointed in your visit!

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:46 am

I try to avoid lines whenever I can so I'd probably play it safe and ski A-basin on Sunday and Friday. Plus I like getting lunch at the Black Mtn Lodge.
Max_501

Postby nickia » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:50 pm

@Steve,

Thanks! I pmed you.

@Max,

Thanks! My flight touches down on Sunday morning so I won't have time to ski that day after alignment. I think my lodge at Keystone includes a free first night ski ticket so I might do that on my first night. I will be flying away on Friday so I guess that also solves the traffic problem :D
Last edited by nickia on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickia

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Well, you're already staying at Keystone so A-basin is the next easiest and best place to hit. I am a fan of Loveland for a high quality un-resort Experience. I like it more than Abasin, but I am a minority in that view. Copper is pretty great and my favorite of the resort area. Too bad you're locked into summit county as this is the year to hit crested butte if you are willing to head further afield.

Not a Vail guy or a Breck guy myself, but lots of folks love them...and maybe that's the drawback.

Have fun, hope it snows every day,

I
B.Mulligan

Postby Vailsteve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Cannot disagree with your cooments on Vail...lots of people do come here. Lift lines can be a little long at times.

That being said, there are a more than a few "hidden" runs, or in reality, lesser known runs, that bypass the busiest lifts.

Vail is so big that even on the busiest days, you can be one of one or one of a few. And with the newer six packs on chairs 2 and 4, vail can move a LOT of people.

Check out Trans Montain. Another "secret"? Ski to the bottom of One (or 19) after 11:00 or so and ride it back up. Ski down and do it again. You can get thousands of feet of vertical, hit greens, blues, blacks, jumps bumps or trees -- and no lift lines. And you can take a different run each time...

Yes I am a little biased, but it true...you just have to know where "not" to go....

Vaultsteve
Vailsteve

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:17 pm

I thought the secret was to stay around mid-Vail all day :)
CO_Steve

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System