Practicing drills

PMTS Forum

Practicing drills

Postby Cipivts » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I need some help and advice regarding method to practice drills on slope.
I am reading 1st book, and as i look at the drills, i have difficulty remembering them (so many) and selecting - prioritizing which ones to do.
Is there any method i could apply here? Should i practice the wedge exercises? I don't see added value to discuss wedges
How are you guys doing this, taking book on slope? checking youtube videos?
I appreciate any advice and methods
Thanks
Cipivts

Re: Practicing drills

Postby ToddW » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Not everyone has the patience to do this, but the best option is to do all of the drills in the order in which they're presented in the book. Prioritization becomes time management. Spend longer on those drills which you find harder to achieve the externally verifiable cues for.

Don't skip drills. If you can do them on first try, you've wasted little time and have confirmed your mastery. Otherwise, you have an important lesson lined up.

Max 501 is a very strong PMTS skier and he's well known for advising those who aspire to ski well to go through the expert 1 exercises in order, skipping nothing, based on his own learning experience.
ToddW

Postby Cipivts » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks Todd,
Just a technical question though. How do you do it, take the book with you on the slopes?
There are so many exercises, and requires spending a lot of time with book in hand...
I am a very visual guy, i think i would benefit from attending a camp, but as i live in europe i have only the Zillertal Austria camp is an option, which for the last couple of years was always bad timing for me to attend...
Cipivts

Postby DougD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:37 am

Hi Cipi,

I have taken the book on the slopes (carried in a small backpack). It's clumsy but it works.

Another option is to thoroughly re-read just the drillls you plan to work on today (the next ones in order), then type or write out a list of them. That way you only need a single sheet of paper. I eventually did this for all the drills in ACBAES1... that list is always in the pocket of my ski gear.

Another idea would be to separate the pages from the book and bring just the needed ones with you each day. This should be easy, my copy is falling out of the binding anyway! :?

As you're avisual learner, having the actual book or at least the pages you need with you might work better than a list, since you'd have the photos of HH skiing to emulate.

Good question!
DougD

Postby Marc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:05 am

Marc

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Th answer is onesies.
h.harb

Postby DougD » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 am

Marc wrote:http://harbskisystems.com/collections/ebooks :)

Thanks, Marc! I hadn't noticed those before. Instant buy!
DougD

Postby Cipivts » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am

Thx all, clear!
Cipivts

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System