Comparison of women Interski Demo Team skiers

PMTS Forum

Comparison of women Interski Demo Team skiers

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Actually there is no comparison. It's a bunch of nonsense and then there is one great skier.

This is great skiing and there is a huge difference between these Interski skiers and Diana.

h.harb

Re: Comparison women skiers

Postby Doghouse » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Diana! Awesome!
Doghouse

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:32 pm

The interski skiing is really poor, even the Austrians or the Swiss. The Swedes are horrendous. This is nothing like world cup skiing it's not worth watching. Ski instruction skiing is at an all time low. The Americans are as bad if not the worst.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:14 am

Why am I so critical, because this is a study of poor techniques. In a slalom course the skiing shown in this video would be murdered. Sure you say you aren't going to ski a slalom course. However, the best skiers in the world ski slalom with the most efficient technique. So do you want to ski with efficient technique or with technique that will never feel settled, balanced or repeatable? The best skiers in this video are the Japanese women.

The rest all squat, twist and hit hard on the edges with a last minute knee drive. This comes from flexing at the wrong time. Flexing at the wrong time comes out of teaching "extension", in all phases of parallel skiing development techniques.

Even Richie Berger who I consider the best free skier, demo skier, and skis with excellent technique, teaches extension. So the best skiers even though they have discovered how to ski correctly for themselves, teach incorrect technique. All national systems in the world offer only extension and wedge skiing progressions in their national systems. So why should we be surprised at such poor skiing?

Notice the 2nd skier's alignment, cuff strong knee drive.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:32 am

Perhaps a stupid question but which one is the second skier? The one on the left or the right?
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:01 pm

The one up the hill with the A-Frame.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:38 pm

That Swedish demo skier is really bad. I cant believe a country with such a strong skiing heritage and history is putting out skiers like this as their best?
Basil j

Postby precisionchiro » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Um, who else noticed the American doing WEDGE TURNS?

Yikes.

I had the honor of skiing with Diana for the first time during Tech Camp last week, my first HSS camp. (Finally!)

She and Harald are the best skiers on the mountain... ANY mountain. You can see them from a mile away. Her skiing and demos left us mere mortals standing up the hill, watching, with our jaws hanging open. There is simply NO comparison between Diana’s clean, elegant and smooth slicing, angling, and arcing... and the tail pushing, popping up, pole swinging/arm flailing of these other female demo skiers.
precisionchiro

Postby HighAngles » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:35 am

The Japanese women in the Interski video are the only ones getting any kind of actual edge engagement in the High-C portion of the turn. Everyone else is just hopping past it and throwing an edge check into the bottom of the turn. Amazing how much more fluid/smooth the Japanese skiers look compared to the rest.
HighAngles

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:36 pm

that video is pure cringe, I wonder why they make this stuff public. My favourite quote from ACBAES 2:

"By gross, did he mean "large" or "ungainly"? I mean both"
noobSkier

Postby precisionchiro » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:44 pm

precisionchiro

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 am

PSIA is basically about the wedge. The organization can't get these "best of their athletes" to ski well. PSIA can't make advanced skier's better. It's really ugly. It's obvious, whoever they use for alignment has no clue at all. This girl's boots are so far off she can't balance and she's definitely not stable.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 pm

That poor woman in the extra links had a totally inadequate rooster tail of snow flying off her skis.......... :mrgreen:

The Swedish woman was indeed terrible.

Why is counter now a bad word in the traditional teaching systems? What are they (not) thinking when they advocate staying square to the skis?
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby noobSkier » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:56 pm

You have to give some credit to CSIA's business model. They have lowered performance standards to the point that 80% of level 4's are chronic wedgers (while believing they are elite). Literally anyone can be a level 4 so long as you pay for the seminars. In the martial arts world we call this a "McDojo".
noobSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:07 am

it's not just the woman...when you trawl through the various 2019 National Interski videos, you quickly discover that they are ALL preaching junk..some of it is laughable..

this is the only one that I could find that is of any interest..no surprises, it is from Japan..AND presented by Takao Maruyama..

go_large_or_go_home

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System