The Transition

PMTS Forum

The Transition

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:39 pm

In case you didn't see it here is a fantastic blog article from HH:

The Transition in Skiing is the most confusing.
Max_501

Re: The Transition

Postby blackthorn » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 am

This search from HHs blog accesses even more on transitions, and each one provides more insights. Great to read and study.

https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/search?q=transition

( I really do get a lot of value out of using the search function on HH blogs, and this PMTS forum.)
blackthorn

Postby Ken » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:00 pm

From the HH blog:
The yellow arrow demonstrates flexing or bending or shortening the leg. This means to relax the muscles bring the knee toward the chest. This is indicated by the ski tip lift.

This is so interesting. When I can get it to work, it works great. I don't have it as a habit yet; I need to think about it and work it out.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby apache67 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:35 am

Are there any decent videos of this timed unwinding counter? (Besides WC video snippets)

Cheers,
G
apache67

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:06 am

apache67 wrote:Are there any decent videos of this timed unwinding counter? (Besides WC video snippets)

Look at video of HH to see the timing of the transition. I hold CA through the transition and once the skis are on the new edges for the new turn I begin CA for the new turn. I don't think about uncoiling because it happens naturally as the skis change edges.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:57 am

There seems to be this desire to see things in slow motion as a way of accepting or figuring out how to achieve certain movements. I can offer this insight into this approach; you will learn and understand much faster, more accurately and have quicker success by studying/reading and interpreting the steps it takes to learn the movements. Some will ask, "Then why do you make instructional videos?"

In my instructional videos, I break down the movements and explain how they are done, while they are being demonstrated. Watching, "holding counteracting" even if you are watching yourself, is rarely helpful unless you have practiced and received feedback from a qualified coach. Doing it by watching or on your own will only extend the timeline of learning and may even send you in the wrong direction.

There are people who do study/read and break down the movements to understand how they are implemented. But I can tell you after coaching hundreds, if not thousands of really fine athletes and many average people in my career, less than 1% can apply movements to their skiing that come from watching a video. Whenever someone tells me they are a visual learner; I know immediately they don't understand how a real visual learner can absorb movements and how few there are. I'm not saying it isn't cool to watch good movements from skiers performing well. However, applying movements without fully understanding how to move your own body parts in the right order isn't likely to happen.
h.harb

Postby apache67 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Would love to have some formal PMTS instruction by a certified coach.

But, going to a camp for a full week isn't an option for most folks...
apache67

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 pm

You can ask Max501, he can tell you how he studied all the materials to understand the movements, and it was not by watching slow motion. You can ask Helluvaskier how he changed his skiing to where it is now and I never saw him ski live until years after. I never said you had to attend a 5-day camp.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:25 am

Without direct feedback from a coach it is very hard to fix errors in your skiing since you can't see yourself. If skiers only had the same direct feedback a dancer has by seeing themselves in a mirror they could make faster changes. Lorie and I use video and radios to give each other feedback when training. One of the biggest hurdles is that skiing is a movie of movement and all the essentials have to work together in a sequence to get the correct movement. I always find with myself while I am fixing one essential another one suffers.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 am

Jim, That happens to all of us. We have to stay focused with a maximum of three word commands per turn that we have figured out triggers the correct movements. These trigger words have to be in the right order for the prep at release.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:23 am

Thanks, Harald I will try that this weekend if it doesn't rain too much. Got the rain suit ready.
skijim13

Postby BrettBPotter » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:14 pm

So Harald, as a beginner (2 camps) skier, what 3 words would guy like me
use? As an example?
BrettBPotter

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:52 am

You don't want my words for this approach. For this to be effective pick and use any words you like. First, you have to know what movement you are trying to trigger, for example, one of the Essentials. For fore/aft balance I use "pull", this reminds me to keep my inside foot back. That's an example. Pick the movements you want to keep happening and then choose a trigger word for yourself.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:07 am

h.harb wrote:You don't want my words for this approach. For this to be effective pick and use any words you like. First, you have to know what movement you are trying to trigger, for example, one of the Essentials. For fore/aft balance I use "pull", this reminds me to keep my inside foot back. That's an example. Pick the movements you want to keep happening and then choose a trigger word for yourself.

Such a critical part of self-coaching.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby blackthorn » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:17 pm

When I think about it, I haven't ever really used trigger words as such. However, I am going to try and see if they work for me when I ski in the northern hemisphere next month. Maybe I should do some dryland exercises on the slopeboard with skiboots on in the meantime.

I found this article fascinating. Are trigger words used as a distraction or a focus on the task in hand?
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1750984X.2017.1408134

I think that for my skiing I tend to choke when things get difficult for me - so if trigger words help then that will be great. Obviously I also need to improve my movements at all levels.
blackthorn

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System