Alignment in the USA and USSA Ski Team.

PMTS Forum

Alignment in the USA and USSA Ski Team.

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 am

This is from a discussion on my Facebook Page.

There is a huge misunderstanding about "over canted" or "under-canted" as a statement. Is it really over canted or too cuff strong? Is the skier cuff strong because they have a valgus ankle and foot or does the boot company tilt the cuff too far laterally? Is the canting too weak or is the cuff too far away from the side of the leg. Does the skier ski with too much railing because he is bowlegged or because his foot is locked in the boot? When you can identify these traits and then know how to fix them in the shop you are a good coach. If you don't know how to do this you are stabbing in the dark and only the lucky gifted athletes you coach will succeed.
h.harb

Re: Alignment in the USA and USSA Ski Team.

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:56 pm

I may just have to join Facebook to follow Harald. This post is another gold nugget.

Having taken the alignment course I can honestly say it was FAR, far more detailed than I expected. But man did I learn some things.

Doing an alignment in a shop environment is one thing. The slant board test is the real deal.

But, seeing an alignment issue on snow, in real time, is freakin’ amazing.

Just goes to show how good the coaches at HSS really are...
Vailsteve

Re: Alignment in the USA and USSA Ski Team.

Postby VAskier » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am

I've learned so much by reading the Harb Skier Alignment System Technician Manual (3rd Ed.). Even if you don't plan to ever get into aligning skiers, the manual is a trove of information. I highly recommend it if you want to increase your understanding of anatomy (as it relates to skier alignment) and the process of aligning skiers. HSS has developed a thorough alignment process and produced this excellent resource to share this information.
VAskier

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System