BYE BYE 2020 Skiing!

PMTS Forum

BYE BYE 2020 Skiing!

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:04 pm

For those that go through withdrawal at the end of every ski season I can say that I feel your pain! Having said that all the ski resorts are doing the right thing in shutting down. But this is the most abrupt end to a ski season I have ever experienced. I guess we can all say it will make the start of next season that much sweeter!!

Hey maybe we will go on a 3 week lock-down in the US and just end this pandemic.

Stay safe everyone!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: BYE BYE 2020 Skiing!

Postby blackthorn » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:03 pm

JB says -
Hey maybe we will go on a 3 week lock-down in the US and just end this pandemic.

That it would be this easy.

I left Chamonix one week ago, having made the decision to bail early. If I had stayed another week, I would have had to self isolate for 14 days on my return home ( a minor imposition in the scheme of things), or maybe even have become stuck in Europe or the UK.

None of this will be easy, but all the best to the PMTS community who I think in all likelihood will act with social responsibility. All the best to people who will undoubtably lose income or their jobs in an industry that relies on internal, and international tourism. All the best to those of us who are aged, or have elderly loved ones.

PMTSers are likely to understand cause and effect, understand and respect science, and delight in the natural environment. All good qualities.
blackthorn

Postby Vailsteve » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Officially, Vail Resorts is only shutting down its North American mountains for one week— until next week Sunday.

Vail will be conducting limited, grooming sometime this week to keep the snow as “fresh” as possible...all in the hope that Vail can reopen at some point this season.

However, re-opening or not is now dependent on the CO state government/health agencies. And that approval is completely unknown...unlikely given the current state of the coronavirus. MAYBE Breck could reopen later because they have enough snow to last thru May or beyond.

Like JBotti posts, this is completely unprecedented. Vail is a virtual ghost town. I went in today to help with giving information at the bottom of 19. Everybody is/was bummed, but they understood.

FYI, If anyone had reservations, refunds are possible. Employees are being paid for this week; however, next week and beyond is unknown. I think Vail is probably done.

Anyway, what an end to a really good snow year. I skied all this past week including Saturday (yesterday) and the snow was awesome. Hit 83 days. Hopefully, maybe, ABasin or Breck can reopen in April.

Almost time to head back to Abu Dhabi for the summer...
Vailsteve

Postby Vailsteve » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:00 am

FYI... Just a hopeful note from Al's blog on A Basin...basically stating CO Gov. Polis has extended the health ban until April 6th.

If that is the extent of the ban, then there should be a high probability that A Basin could reopen that day (which is a Monday) or that week. I am not tied in at all to A Basin (like I am a little bit here at Vail), but I am sure Harald is clued in on what is actually feasible.

If the health ban is truly over on the 6th, there would be quite a lot of skiing left..maybe all the way into June.

Fingers crossed!!

PS. Dumping snow today here at Vail. Super soft. Would have been a great day to ski.
Vailsteve

Postby A.L.E » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm hoping next northern hemisphere season opens. This NH season is finished IMO.

We are all at the start of this chaos.

Australians are supposed to be social distancing and working from home if possible.
This was the scene at one of the Sydney's city beaches yesterday. :roll:
I'll be surprised if the season here in Australia opening in June/July happens.

A.L.E

Postby tigernbr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:52 pm

ABasin announced today they are letting all of their seasonal employees go for the season.
tigernbr

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:35 am

Yes, you are correct. Just read the new blog post. This is unprecedented. And just terrible.

Being outside in the fresh air seems to me to be one of the best things you can do stay healthy and happy.Went for a two hour snowshoe hike this morning just outside of Minturn. Absolutely gorgeous, clear, sunny, warm and fresh snow to boot.

Looks like CO skiing is truly done.
Vailsteve

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm

However, there are hundreds of people and cars parking at the top of Berthoud and Loveland Pass skiing the backcountry.
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:46 pm

h.harb wrote:However, there are hundreds of people and cars parking at the top of Berthoud and Loveland Pass skiing the backcountry.

you guys are lucky, to my knowledge all hills in Quebec have banned touring/snowshoeing and being on premise for any reason.
noobSkier

Postby blackthorn » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 pm

I would like to suggest that this thread is moved to social chatting.

We in New Zealand are in our version of lockdown. As a recently retired medical practitioner I am now back in a nonclinical role at our local hospital - something I was very happy to do.

Ski field opening this year is very uncertain. My country is heavily invested in external tourism, and the drop off in this will affect us hugely.

HH - your trip of the ages might not be able to be repeated for sometime.

We, as PMTSers are a community.

I usually visit the PMTS website everyday - that's how much it has meant to me for over 5 years now.

So, as we work our way through this all, this forum may be able to support people in all their different circumstances.

Thanks to ALE from OZ for his contribution. I was on that beach only a few months ago.

Best to all.
blackthorn

Postby seskelson » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:28 am

Blackthorn. Thank you for posting your thoughts. I too typically visit this website each morning. I appreciate the thoughts and comments. The detailed analysis by Harald, Max 501 and Jbotti. For those who keep the web site going -- thank you.

And all my best to those on this forum.
Scott Eskelson
in Idaho
seskelson

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System