Transition - extension vs flexing

PMTS Forum

Re: Transition - extension vs flexing

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:14 pm

HH said:
Harald has commented even Reilly can’t do his flexed, high energy turns all day., beautiful as they are.

Indeed why do you think I said this? First I know Reilly pretty well, and I know his situation, he's injured to the point where he needs surgery on both hips. What he really needs is hip replacements. However, they don't do hip replacements on 30-year-olds. He may never be able to ski the way he has again after these surgeries and if he tried he could become an invalid. I made the comment about not skiing with those angles all day long before I knew about Reilly's condition. Was i predicting anything, no, I just know what it takes to do these turns for more than a few runs a day it's exhausting?

I don't ski with my hip on the snow or try to any longer. I might go for a half a run doing so from time to time, but I know it really taxes my knees and hips. I don't want another joint replacement thank you.

However, the point here isn't to ski like Reilly, or anyone else who does this type of show skiing, or posts photos with hips on the snow. It actually inefficient, the world cup guys don't do it. Why, because it isn't efficient. It takes too long to get to the other side and it can really mess you up when you lose the outside ski in a rut or chatter.

The real point of learning PMTS is to use flexing retraction movements to release so you can be efficient and connected from one turn to the next, using the energy from the mountain. My favorite example is this video. https://youtu.be/0j0HslzpxPU

These turns are created with flexing and relaxing or bending. They are so easy, relaxing, and require little energy. I'm using the mountain (Gravity and the forces from the arc) to pull me into the next turn, and I'm letting go. This type of skiing gives me speed control anywhere. Plus this skiing develops high enough angles to keep me interested.
h.harb

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:29 pm

Pure poetry in motion.
Vailsteve

Postby Basil j » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:22 am

And that ladies & gentlemen is how it's done. Smooth as silk. The way skiing should be.
Basil j

Postby Marc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:14 am

HH Quote:
Skiing, economically, smoothly and with balance, is just managing and redirecting momentum correctly.
Marc

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System