Jean Claude Killy

PMTS Forum

Jean Claude Killy

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 am

It is in French, very interesting history of Val d'Isère. I skied and raced there many times. Actually won two races in Val d-Isere. It is a mystical place for me with such great history. I had many friends on the French Team. I have met Killy numerous times, he was such star. The beginning of this video has him skiing a complete slalom course in a race. Great footage even if you don't understand French. One of the greatest lines in the film, is the local priest was a good skier, so he recruited the kids by skiing with them.

Enjoy.
h.harb

Re: Jean Claude Killy

Postby Vailsteve » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:22 pm

This is cool.

So Harald...who were your mentors back in the day? I suspect your father was a huge influence, Austrian ski instructor and all that.

Was there a World Cup racer or national skier you wanted to emulate? Did anyone particularly influence you with creating your own style, and the subsequent development of PMTS?

I have always enjoyed watching vintage films, and I find old ski movies/videos entertaining. And educational. Some of those old time skiers could really ski, even with those wooden planks strapped to their boots. The past few years we celebrated the 10th Mountain Division and the founders of Vail with a torchlight ski-down on Pepi’s; in original 10th Mountain uniforms and replica rifles, but at least we could ski it on our modern skis and boots.

Anyway. Season is almost over. Definitely the weirdest season ever!
Vailsteve

Postby h.harb » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:18 am

My early influences from the international skiers was Killy. As a kid I just picked out the best skiers on the slopes and tried to copy the ones I liked. We had some very good racers in my high school (two were national team) and we all skied on the same mountain. At 14, I met a Polish racer who had raced on the World Cup, friend of my father. I followed him everywhere for 3 seasons. I started racing at 16, so I was late to the show. At 17 I moved out to Alberta, made the Alberta Team. I was mostly learning to ski big mountains and developing a natural style, there wasn't any technical coaching as we know it. My main thoughts were stand on the outside ski and counter balance. If you could do that it took your long way. At 18 I skied my first World Cup at the invitation of the Canadian Ski Federation, the ski team. I saw all the best skiers, Killy, LaCroix, Guy Perillat, Augert, Alfred Matt, Kidd, Schranz. After that I was training with the Canadian ski team, picking out what I thought worked best. I skied with two world champions, Jean Noel Augert probably was the best model. This was all in leather boots that went slight higher than your ankles. If you watch Killy skiing slalom, (same boots I had) it's amazing he could tip those skis at all, but he did. The boots allowed for no leverage, it was all ankles and feet. If you didn't have strong feet in those days, you didn't last long on the racing scene.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:50 am

Those leather boots look rough!! Not a lot of leverage!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby thatguy_onthehill » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:02 pm

Awesome! Yellow gates!
thatguy_onthehill

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System