PMTS and ski boots

PMTS Forum

PMTS and ski boots

Postby Mr. T » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:25 am

I would like to know if Harald could tell us a little bit about the brands
and models of ski boots he considers the most adaptable to fill the needs
of those skiers who elect PMTS as their approach to skiing.

For example, I have seen Harald endorsing Head, Dal Bello, Salomon,
Nordica (the Doberman model at least). But I have never read about
Atomic for instance.

Since we are in PMTS' land. Would it be possible to share some wisdom
about ski boots and their merits/demerits as far as PMTS is concerned?

Cheers, :P
Mr. T

boot selection based on performance

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:24 am

Hello Mr. T

I am glad to offer our boots preferences to PMTSers. These selections are based on our research with skiers over the last seven years. You are right; we in PMTS land have tested and evaluated many levels of skiers on many different brands and models. This all started when I was testing boots for both Skiing and Snow Country magazines. Now we have narrowed our tests down and formulated an approach that is based on dynamic evaluations. Static in door fore/aft tests and adjustments have not yielded accurate correlations to dynamic on snow performance tests. We look to begin with, specifically for a functional fore/aft balanced position. We evaluate this by moving the skier downhill in a straight run, with one ski lifted. Based on a skier?s stance and moving ability in and out of balance; we can define the best boot set up for that skier. We have done comparison video and photo analysis using this method and found huge differences in balancing of individuals when comparing boot brands.

We also evaluate the rotary and lateral performance characteristics of each boot model. We recommend brands, not across the board, but selected models depending on individual needs of the skier. We recommend only the following boots based on our functional testing: Dalbello, Head, Salomon. We do not recommend Atomic, Lange, Tecnica, or most models of Nordica. We like the Doberman for some racers but not all. We also modify the Doberman extensively. We are very familiar with race boots as we set up boots for many FIS racers and juniors, including Erik Schlopy the current World Champion, Bronze medalist. All of our alignment evaluations are done very precisely and methodically, we study the skier?s technique, body structure and movement capability. We have discovered new methods and products, including a new product under patent application, for different alignment and foot articulating needs.

You asked about the Atomic boots specifically. They have not yet lived up to the lateral standards we require for best performance. We have experienced the Atomics with some of our instructor and clients. We found that the boot has rotary characteristics that lead to knocked knee positions on the skiers we tested. So in our view, the jury is still out. We like many of the properties of the Atomic, but as yet they haven?t proved to be solid for all skiers. I know Atomic realizes they have some issues with their product. They are testing some new configurations with racers.
h.harb

Salamon X-Wave 9 boots

Postby mjones » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:57 am

Hi Harald,

Have you ever had a chance to try the X-Wave 9 boots? If I am forced to give up my old Salomon Integral 8.1s these are the boots I am currently considering (though they do seem easier flexing than my 8.1s?).

On a somewhat related topic, one question I asked Peter that I would also be interested in getting your opinion on is why boots nowadays seem to be getting softer in fore-aft flex? The bootfitters I have talked to say that this is because with modern skis you don't need to aggressively pressure the front of the skis to turn so fore-aft flex can be software (whereas laterally they are more rigid). This doesn't quite make sense to me. If fore-aft flex isn't as critical then why could I not make them stiffer to encourage better/more consistent stance?

All and any thoughts welcome!

Cheers!
Mike
mjones

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System