Boot alignment video analysis for Lucy

Re: Boot alignment video analysis for Lucy

Postby noobSkier » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:41 am

Max_501 wrote:If you are going to attempt alignment without an HSS trained tech you might consider getting the Alignment Tech Course Manual.

This!

Bingster, yes and yes. Just keep in mind, this is a real rabbit hole...some would argue an exercise in futility. We might be able to help you somewhat, but it will never be perfect until you ski with a coach.
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 pm

There are many references in my first book to "Alignment" and "Movement" needs that combine to give the skier the results they are looking for with regard to balance. The skis are another factor and the tune will have almost as much influence as the shims. I tested skis this season that were beveled to 1.5 degrees on the base and they required much more boot canting, or my knees were touching, "A-framed". If your skis are overly beveled canting will never solve the problem correctly.

Finding optimal alignment is a combination of; footbed needs or not, lateral cuff adjusting to the shin, boot snugness, sole canting and the skier's movements.
h.harb

Postby Bingster » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Checking Lucy’s boots, I noticed that her left boot is canted inward. Right boot is canted outward. Maybe the bootfitter’s setting was unintentionally changed.

But as for those shims, did they work for Lucy’s right boot, which should be canted correctly?

Thanks.
Bingster

Postby Bingster » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Lucy’s ski is Head super joy, which should be a good one.

But now I see, my understanding of boot fitting was over simplified.

And Lucy told me she cannot tight the buckles enough because some parts of her boots hurt her feet, which is another factor.
Bingster

Postby Bingster » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi noobSkier,

Here is the “alternating one-legged straight run” without shims you wanted to see.

By the way, after I adjust Lucy's left boot cuff outward, Lucy stared to have left side CA CB right away. She has been struggling on that for years.
Bingster

Postby noobSkier » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:15 pm

Play around with the shims now, the goal is to be able to balance on one ski without changing direction. Right boot probably needs more canting than left. You can find more detail in the alignment manual that Max_501 linked for you...it's a must have.
noobSkier

Postby Bingster » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:31 pm

I will play around with those shims later. Lucy is thinking about whether to get new boots or not. Sometimes there are some pressure points in the boots which make Lucy cannot tighten her boots enough. But sometimes, she doesn't run into those problems.

I downloaded that boot alignment manual recommended by Max. I took a quick scan. It's quite complicated. I will try to read it during summer time.

And after fixing left boot cuff adjustment, Lucy's right turn improved a lot. I am shocked to see such a small adjustment on her left boot fixed Lucy's right turn problem which bothered her for years. It's a very helpful discussion thread for us.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help.
Bingster

Postby noobSkier » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Bingster, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding what is fixed and what isn't. The truth is, you probably just don't know what you are looking at because based on the videos it's unlikely that this skier gets any CA or CB.
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 am

We see this all the time, skiers buy boots, they don't fit, they aren't cuff adjusted, the bottom canting is never addressed. They either give up or lose much of what skiing can be. Skiers also get the wrong skis. Save yourself the misery time and money, come out to Colorado and get set up correctly. In the end, the trip will save you money and give you enjoyment with your skiing for years to come.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video