MA Request 4 A Michigan Skier

Re: MA Request 4 A Michigan Skier

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Stereotypes save time! I am direct, you can waste lots of time beating around the bush, the way PSIA does. You won't get better information anywhere. I applaud your direction and your efforts. You will always get a real answer here.
h.harb

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby SkiMoose » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:49 pm

I'd agree that the jump from Carvers to snow is challenging. In my experience, CA, CB, and flexing translates fairly well, but the difference in pitch affects weight distribution foot to foot (there is typically more weight on the inside ski on carvers), and for aft balance (less pull back is required on carvers). I've found that just getting lots of reps on snow after being on the carvers to be the most beneficial in adjusting to the different dynamics of skiing. Steeper pitches = higher angles and higher degrees of movements
SkiMoose

Postby ErikCO » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:15 pm

Your video from last year is coming up as private when I try to watch it. I'd be interested in seeing it. (If you don't want it to be generally available on YouTube, just change it to unlisted but post a link here.)

I'm kind of surprised you felt there was a collision risk at ABasin. Most of the time I just feel that way before the other mountains open up. By late November or early December, I generally don't find it to be all that crowded. That said, we haven't had a great snow year thus far in central CO so terrain is a little slow opening.

I won't give much feedback on the video you posted from camp, as I'm sure the coaches gave you better feedback than I am able to do. One thing I will agree with you on, however, is faster tempo. You are staying in your turn long enough that you bleed all the energy out of it. If you were to release and head into the next turn a half second sooner, you would get much more of a dynamic feeling to your skiing. Of course, my skiing often ends up looking like that at camp because I am concentrating on a particular movement more than on the overall flow of my skiing.

So glad you got a chance to get to camp despite the pandemic!
ErikCO

Postby willwingpang » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:02 am

Looking good - Keep skiing!
willwingpang

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:15 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:06 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby willwingpang » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:38 pm

The difference in your skiing between now and previous videos is like night and day - In the latest one, I love the speed control, the tempo and rhythm and the float in between the turns. Also, your movements look more smoother and crisp.

IMO, in some turns your BTE on the old inside ski bites little early in the high c... perhaps you could try the accelerator and brake garland drill with emphasis on strong LTE edge when release the BTE on the stance ski, and try this on shallow, mid, steeps.

You can get MORE tipping in as you travel through the lower half the turn, be more aggressive and playful with the Phantom Move and and foot/feet pullback. Diana's Step Up video is a great source - I learnt a lot from that also re-discovered the float (it's funny how I forget this...).
willwingpang

Postby ErikCO » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Now THAT's some skiing! Looks so much better and flows much better than your previous videos! If you manage to do turns exactly like that on a groomed western black run (and I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to), you will be better than almost everyone on the mountain!

I'm sure coaches will have input on small tweaks to the above, but as willwingpang indicated, the place to go from here is probably working on increasing the magnitude of your essentials. Make sure you feel confident in the movements you all ready have, but as he said, increasing tipping is a good place to start. You start increasing your tipping and get video and you will then see what other essentials need to be worked on to match the tipping. At least, that is my approach as I find tipping to be the easiest essential to push myself on. Then that exposes the areas where I am weak.
ErikCO

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 pm

From one coach to another - Watch your video and MA as if it was one of your students.

1 - How often do you see an O-Frame (LTE tipping before BTE tipping)?
2 - Is the pelvis part of the legs or torso (especially here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7d_jxDFH04)
3 - In the most recent footage with an increase in tempo and decrease in turn radius - how much ski performance do you see (for the sake of discussion look for a bent outside ski that leads to a pop during the release)?
Max_501

Postby oggy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:58 am

Hey Ryan. A couple of other outcomes to watch out for that might be useful:

1. look at the ratio of how much time you spend in high-C and low-C (above/below the fall line), and compare that to Harald or any of the coaches in the coaches training video that Harald posted last season
2. look at how much spray is coming off each ski and when
oggy

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:48 am

RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:39 pm

RyanAllen

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video