MA request for Indoorski prt2

MA request for Indoorski prt2

Postby Indoorski » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'd much appreciate some smim advice on the attached video. Apologies for the soundtrack. I snipped the footage from a montage that my buddy put together but couldn't lose the sound. There are four turns to the left which is my weaker side and 3 to the right, which start at 26 seconds in, with a couple of shaky single footed releases at the very start (which incidentally I plan to work on now that the local snow centre is back open).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_LJ0qH0I7A
Last edited by Indoorski on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Indoorski

Re: MA request for Indoorski prt2

Postby RyanAllen » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 am

Greetings!

Since the experienced MA forum members are enjoying the offseason, I will try and help with some safe advice. If you're looking for a SMIM I don't think you can go wrong with tipping. Do you have the Essentials book? The tipping chapter has a wealth of explanations and exercises - for dryland, snow, carvers, etc. In my own experience, learning how to tip beginning with my feet, and finding the maximum range of motion, was a real breakthrough. Get in your boots, put a mirror in front of you, and see how far you are tipping. If you're doing this already - great, otherwise, I'd get after it! And, a key concept from the Essentials book is "tipping isn't about turning - it's about balance."

Is the second video on that channel of you as well? I thought it was much easier to watch. I like your balance transfer, but the turns were pretty flat. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not worry about all the other stuff, just learn how to tip with my feet (and balance). Hope this is helpful!
RyanAllen

Postby skijim13 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 am

The video is not easy to see but what I could see is that you are attempting to do the phantom movement to make a turn, however the phantom movement should be used after you have master tipping on and off your edges. If you have the essentials book or videos I suggest you work on all the tipping movements shown in the chapter on tipping. A good begging drill on the snow would be a release to slideslip in a garland type exercise, next work on a release and engagement. After you have mastered this movement move on to the phantom movement in a traverse. When doing the phantom movement with the free foot lift it slightly off the snow for the balance transfer raising the tail high off the snow is not required. Key to the phantom movement is flexing the inside leg as you tip the foot (inversion) throughout the turn. Keeping tipping thoughout the turn to the end to ensure you have a LTE to transfer your balance to at the end of the turn.
skijim13

Postby Indoorski » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:36 am

Hi RyanAllen and Sijim13,

Many thanks for taking the time to review my post.

The "IMG00691" clip taken last year and should be ignored. I tried posting the "Hemel - August 20" using the youtube button convention but the clip was coming up as unavailable. I have the book and a slant board so will have a read and practice the tipping exercises but I think that what I'm really struggling with is getting past the feeling that falls somewhere between discomfort and abject terror when I'm on the snow. I guess practice makes perfect and I can always drop down the slope of my local snow centre where it'll be easier for me to control my speed.
Indoorski

Postby Hobbit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Indoorski wrote:Hi RyanAllen and Sijim13,

The "IMG00691" clip taken last year and should be ignored. I tried posting the "Hemel - August 20" using the youtube button convention but the clip was coming up as unavailable.

I modified your original post in this thread and added the clip using youtube button.
Just open it for edit since you are the original poster. Study how to use youtube button by comparing the URL you linked with the video code which must be used when using the button.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Indoorski » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:55 am

Many thanks for fixing Hobbit. I’ll take a peek.
Indoorski

Return to Movement Analysis and Video