Question about 2008 IM78

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Question about 2008 IM78

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 pm

I've decided that for now I'm looking for a 1-ski quiver. I'm really not a big fan of short turns so I'm looking for something with a 15-20m turn radius. I demoed a 172 cm Monster 82 this past weekend. It was ALMOST exactly what I'm looking for. I LOVE its stability in varied snow conditions. It is a serious crudbuster that loves to make big sweeping turns and has excellent grip on the hardpack. However, it's not a nimble ski and I found its weight wore on me as the day went on.

About a month ago I skied the Salomon Fury and loved how lightweight it was. However, it needed a little soft snow underneath it to excel. It really suffered in the hardpack/icey areas between the bumps and elsewhere.

A Fury-im82 hybrid is what I'm looking for. Something more nimble than the IM82, good float in powder, and good stability in crud (especially the crud we see in the Sierras).

One ski that has been brought to my attention is the IM78. Several dealers are beginning to get them now in 171cm lengths. Might this be the answer to my prayers? Or should I hold out for the 177 (not due in until later this year)? Or should I look elsewhere?

Am I sacrificing too much float with a 171 cm long, 78 mm wide ski? BTW, I thought the 172 cm im82 was a perfect length for me.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Magnus_CA

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Just an update...I found a place that I can demo a pair of 177 cm im78's!!!
Magnus_CA

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:33 am

Magnus_CA wrote:Just an update...I found a place that I can demo a pair of 177 cm im78's!!!

Let us know what you think of it.
Max_501

Postby ginaliam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Not a fan of short turns??? You sure you're on ythe right forum :lol: ?

The im 78 got a nice write-up by dawgcatching over on epic (great reviewer btw).
ginaliam

Postby ramshackle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Magnus what do you weigh and how fast do you ski and in what typical conditions.

Unless you weigh 125 lbs or less OR always ski at near-crawling speeds you should try the 177 length of the iM 78.

And when thinking about what you are gaining/giving up with a particular ski try to remember that having a "quiver" of skis is a new phenomenon that can be its own hobby independent of actual skiing and remember that buying different skis does nothing for your skiing compared to skiing a lot and theres a lot of people out there in the skiing world who can ski powder and crud on smaller waisted generally skinnier skis.
If your skiing feels good to you then it is good for you but that doesnt mean you cant improve your skiing okay?
ramshackle

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:38 am

ramshackle wrote:Unless you weigh 125 lbs or less OR always ski at near-crawling speeds you should try the 177 length of the iM 78.

Definitely demo both sizes if you can. While some people like longer lengths others (like myself) prefer slightly shorter sizes. My favorite off piste ski is still my 162cm Metron B5.
Max_501

Postby Icanski » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:04 pm

I skied the Im 78 in Fernie, when Harald took back the SS he leant me (darn, I thought he wouldn't notice :wink: ) so I had to get my own pair.

The Im78 felt very good in those conditions. It turned pretty quickly and tightly and was very nice in the soft stuff as well as the groomers. If I needed something for powder as well as more all around: I'd consider it. I enjoyed it alot.
Icanski
Icanski

Return to Gear