Best powder ski for PMTS?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Best powder ski for PMTS?

Postby skidaddle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I am just curious what people who ski the PMTS way would recommend for a powder ski.

I know and understand HH's opinion about using a SS even in deep powder due to ability to ski in all 3 dimensions/ porpoise up and down etc. This makes sense to me and I hope to develop into a skier who can experience this sensation. I also understand that I need to develop the PMTS skills to really ski well off piste and that certain skis may delay my development.

I wonder though if there aren't good wider skis to begin playing in the powder with so that I can develop the confidence and experience to ski off-piste. I currently own the FX 8 and IM 75 non-chip. I am thinking about selling the IM75 to get a ski that will help me off-piste when I go to CO or UT and I am lucky enough to get dumped on. Perhaps the IM 75 is wide enough for the task (unfortunately I have not been lucky enough to find out - 6 inches is the biggest "dump" these have been in :( )

Currently I am working on a BPSRT. With PMTS I am making real progress. I ski steeps comfortably when groomed and even when icy. Working on my pole use (better form and consistency) off-piste and bump sking.

I only get to go out west 4 - 10 days a year so a good ski that is a couple years old, may be the thing that really fits the bill. OR suggestions of what to ask for to rent on a good powder day would be helpful. I have a friend who was in UT and rented some powder skis on a 18 -24 " day and he said he became an instant genius. This has piqued my interest, but I wanted to "pole" :) the wisdom of the board.

TIA - I trust that made sense,
skidaddle
skidaddle

Postby tburtonwire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:01 am

I just bought a pair of Fischer Rangis (women's ski) on clearance and really liked them. They aren't very quick from edge to edge and on occasions I had a tendancy to hold the turn too long, I think due to the width. They have an 88mm waist. I have been on others that require steering. I did look for the pair with the deepest sidecut. My husband & I both demoed skis in the last 2 seasons and both noticed that some of the 80mm+ skis did better with a wider 2 foot stance than with PMTS.
tburtonwire

Postby skidaddle » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:39 pm

thanks for the input. I have heard other good things about the Fischer Atua.

How about this approach. I would love to hear input from people who have skied wider skis in powder and liked the ski and why they liked it. I have heard a lot about the Head skis. For me, a ski with a railflex binding would work out from the standpoint of bringing two sets of skis, with only one set of bindings.

I am curious about;
Fischer wide rides
Stockli DP at 184 or 193
Dynastar 8800 or 8000 or DP pro
Elan 777 or 888
Any Head ski esp pros and cons ie 82 vs 78 vs Mojo vs 88 etc.

thanks
skidaddle
skidaddle

Postby Icanski » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 am

I can tell you that the Stocklis are extremely stiff and for expert extreme skiers. They are for doing extremely steep descents and you really need to know what you're doing on them.
I skied the im72 last year at Fernie in moderate powder and they were lots of fun.
My Stockli snake BC are great for floating in powdre but are hard to get turning. They're 88 under foot which is plenty wide, but takes lots of energy to get on edge and has a huge turn radius. Unless you ski pow a lot, I would use the SS for it, or a mid fat. I'd rather be in the pow than on top of it.
Icanski
Stockli has a new ski called the XXL coming out which may fit the bill.
Icanski

Postby skidaddle » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks,
That bit about the Stockli skis being stiff is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. :P
skidaddle

Postby milesb » Mon May 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Any softer powder ski should work well for you. Sidecut isn't really that important when the snow is deep, but you do want the ski to bend in the top of the turn when you tip it. If you haven't already, do a search in the PMTS technique section for powder or deep snow info, there's some stuff that may help.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby skidaddle » Thu May 31, 2007 6:25 pm

Thanks,

I'll check it out.

Skidaddle
skidaddle

Return to Gear