head lightining im 70

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

head lightining im 70

Postby hayduke » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:59 am

does anyone know about this ski? is it the same as the im 70?
hayduke

Postby midwif » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:19 pm

The Lightening is usually the female specific version of the ski.
midwif

Postby François » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:37 am

EDIT: I just saw the IM70 at the end of your ski designation. I think that is a different ski than the one my daughter tried below, then again maybe not; I asked for a higher level ski, but not expert level. All I know is when I see head lightning, I get scared away. The lightning IM70 is probably the female version of the IM70, maybe not as bad. I suggest you check out Realskiers.com for some good reviews.

My daughter tried out a head lightning model last year (2004-2005 season) one day when we went skiing at Calabogie Peaks (in Ontario Canada). I'm not sure what model it was, but looking at the reviews it seems to be the female model of the IC160, updated.

It was not a good experience for her. The ski was very unstable at speed. It would flop around uncontrollably. At lower speeds it would not turn, despite the fact that she was tipping the skis as per instruction; it would just skid instead. She was/is not an experienced skier, so did not have the skills to compensate for the lack of torsional rigidity and softer flex imho. I spent a lot of time waiting for her to catch up. She felt very uncomfortable on steeper pitches. She had been skiing and progressing very well, but seemed to take a step back that day.

The shop owner reccomended the ski based on her days on the snow which was not very many. I had explained to him that she tended to ski faster than most people despite her lack of experience, but appearently he assumed I was just bragging. I thought she was demonstrating a higher level ski, and because of that experience almost decided she needed a lower end ski. For comparison, she ended up with a Volkl Porsche Slalom Carver which she likes much better ( though it is a little too light for frozen crud).

Summary: IMHO it may be a good ski for a light female beginner who only skis slow on greens or easy blues. It is not a good ski for going fast on blues or easy blacks.
François

Return to Gear