New Head Ski Choice 2013

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: New Head Ski Choice 2013

Postby jbotti » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:21 am

I ski the ISL RD in a 165m length and they will buck you right off the mountain if you pressure the tips and get maximum rebound in each turn. There is nothing bland about this ski in the 165cm length.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby razie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 am

well, I clearly need more tip pressure, as demonstrated by my inability to turn the GS.RD :) maybe the Fischers are easier ?

is it possible that the race plates are too close and that changes the behavior of the ski? these are mounted just half an inch apart...?
razie

Postby razie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Well, what do you know... Razie got some snow time this weekend. You were right, with the right pressure, the Heads are a bundle of joy.

Cheers
razie

Postby Icanski » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks, Mr. Botti,
Very helpful, as always.
I've been asking the Head rep here about getting some, but no response for awhile....
My old SS are still hanging in there, though getting pretty scratched up from little guys skiing over them and just working them hard...
Dear Santa..... :D
J
Icanski

Postby razie » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:59 pm

I think Head is my new ski of choice...

The i.SL.RD is awesome if you stay with it through the turn properly. I prefer it to the Atomic D2 SL.

More amazing to me is the i.GS.RD 183cm 25.5m radius. It is one lively ski that i swear to you, can sing in the right conditions... And puts a humongously big smile on my face... Now that i learned how to actually turn the skis :)

I like them more than a Fischer RC4 GS 183/23m and even the Atomic D2 GS 171/19.5 which is what i used last week.

I am now looking for a 165 slalom, mine is a 155.
razie

Postby seskelson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:41 am

Well hopefully back soon with a few comments on my new Head REV 85 PRO (one brief day at Targhee so far) and the Rock N Roll 95. The new tools for this year.
seskelson

Postby seskelson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 am

Well, a few thoughts after thoughts after now having had the opportunity to ski the new skis in my quiver. This past weekend was excellent as we finally had a large dump of snow Friday. Sat. we were skiing in our back area powder up to the bottom of my kneecaps, with excellent groomed on the front runs.

The quiver at this date:
170cm. Icon tt80 - enough said - it makes me better.
Head M78 - the original - still cherished, and my "go to " ski - when I don't know what conditions will be. - 178 cm - enough said
Head REV 85 PRo - new this year - to replace the Peak 84 Pro - 177 cm
Head Rock N Roll 85 - new this year - 173 cm.

And the sleeper - Scott Mission - my (almost) new model from last year with about 2 days on it (bad snow year) - and also my two year old model which I still have. - both in a 178 cm.

Disclaimer: I'm the ski patrol area rep for Head and Scott. Age: 59 (shhh). Height about 5'9 to 5'10 depending on who measures and weight about 185lbs.
Head REV 85 PRo. A great ski. I only got it as with my price I was able to "upgrade" from the Peak 84 from last year for $5.00 - after I sold my old ones. It turns more quickly than the 84 ( look at the specs and you'll see why) and it feels slightly more lively. If anything, to me a slightly more powerful edge hold. However, I would urge anyone considering to also carefully ski this and the REV 80 PRO. Note that Harb Ski Systems carries the REV 80 Pro and then moves to the Rock N Roll in their line up and consider that fact and Harald's wisdom. I have not skiied the REV 80, but I wonder if it may have slightly more of the feel of the original M78 being a bit narrower. I've got to get on one. But overall, yes, I like it better than my Peak 84, but with that said, I would not rush out and get the 85 versus the Peak 84 if you have one and like it or find a great deal on a Peak 84 Pro.

Head Rock N Roll. What can I say. For a "fatty" it is all Harald has written. It handles the groomed amazingly well when you tip it. I had not intended to get one this year (cost contraints you know do factor in) but I found this one on ebay new in the plastic, at a price under $250.00 with free shipping. I couldn't resist, after all Harald has said. Great ski. Although with the early rise, I think if I could I'd probably get it in a 180 given the choice for me. But I'm still loving this one.

And the sleeper - my Scott Mission. This is the fourth one of these I've had (in the various year models) and for me it is idiot proof and ultra forgiving in powder and chopped crud. When you look at the specs, the turn radius is quite short and for me it does well with PMTS movements. I like it much better than the reviews would suggest on Peter Keelty's website - but different strokes for different folks. A great ski for patroling.
So I'm no expert, but a few thoughts for you anyway.

I'm headed to the National Ski Patrol board meeting and 75th anniversary celebration on Jan 31st to Feb 3rd in Denver and hope to be able to stop by the Harb shop. Only going to get in one day at Ski Cooper on Friday. Also going to the SIA show while I'm there.

Happy skiing.
seskelson

Previous

Return to Gear