Thermoformable insoles

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Thermoformable insoles

Postby Louis » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello,

I would like to know what's your opinion on thermoformable insoles like sidas or formthotics? Are they alright or is there a major problem with them?

Thanks!
Louis

Re: Thermoformable insoles

Postby Mac » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:37 pm

I have the Sidas insoles in a pair of boots, and I like them a lot. Comfortable, warm, no issues with them. The boots are an older pair, and the insoles I had in them eventually fell apart. I still wanted to use the boots, but because of their age, it wasn't worth having a custom pair of insoles made specifically for them. However, I have a pretty neutral stance to begin with. Harald fitted my boots for me years ago, and told me I needed very little in the way of customization. No boot sole grinding, no shims or cants, etc. No individual foot weirdness to speak of. Harald just made me a very simple footbed, and I was good to go. I have a medium width foot, with a medium arch, so all of this made me a good candidate for an off the shelf insole. But keep in mind that this is the exception, not the rule. Most people require some sort of customization, and a pair of the over the counter insoles are not going to address any of those issues. But in the end, the only way you are really going to know is to try a pair. What works for me is no guarantee that they will work for you.
Mac

Return to Gear