Softer ISLs available

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Softer ISLs available

Postby zuschauer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Hello, just got ahold of some interesting skis:

2015/16 Head ISLr 170 cm, 12.1 radius 121- 66- 106

W/PR11 binding (bindings slide onto simple plate)

This is a softer version of the ISL w/o a race plate and is very reminiscent of the old pre kers super shapes (no chip on these) I skied these Sunday and found them better than the current Supershape ISpeeds ( @ 170 14.4 radius)

These are a European release ski that were shipped stateside due to the lack of snow in Europe.

I am selling them for $599 a pair (only have the 170 and cannot get any others) Sold with a PR11, but I can change out the binding or sell them without the binding if you desire, but the plates are premounted. Just look at a Head ISLr online to get a look at how they appear..... similar to a 2015/16ISL but no chip and Black/white on topcoat w/ a day glow yellow sidewall.

Richard
zuschauer

Re: Softer ISLs available

Postby theorist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Interesting. Any idea how this differs from the European-release iSLX (12.2 m @ 170, 123-66-108), which likewise has no KERS chip (I believe both the iSLR and iSLX are marketed as using "Intelligence Fibers"), and likewise is typically sold with PowerRail bindings instead of the Freeflex plate system?:

http://www.newgear.net/skitest_show_ski ... 014&SSTX=R
theorist

Postby zuschauer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Same thing. The label on the ski is isle. Same on Head order info
zuschauer

Postby zuschauer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:00 pm

whoops ISLr is the label on the skis
zuschauer

Postby zuschauer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:01 pm

My measurements might have been off by a mm or so
zuschauer

Postby theorist » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Your measurements are correct -- I found a close-up picture of the 170 cm iSLr online, and 12.1 m, 121-66-106 is printed on the ski. I think the error is in the site that I linked for the iSLX; I found a different site that says the iSLX is also 121-66-106 (couldn't find a readable picture, though). It sounds like iSLr is just the new name for the iSLX.
theorist

Postby Erik » Sat May 14, 2016 11:22 am

I purchased a pair of the 170 iSLRs from Richard, and skied them at A-Basin last week (factory tune).
The dimensions/radius of the ski is the same as my 2009 170 iSupershape (121-66-106, 12.1m radius). Without a direct on-snow comparison, my impression was that the iSLR and classic SuperShape are very similar. The flex/rebound characteristic is very similar to the old SuperShape (pre-KERS). The 2016 iSL (non RD), which has KERS, is stiffer. I think the iSLR (at least in the 170 length) would be a good replacement ski for those who have worn out their old SuperShapes, or for those who are new to PMTS - if only we could get them into the US market more easily.

Since I wanted to get a more informed opinion about the ski than just my impressions, I asked Geoffda to take a few runs on them (mid-morning snow, no icy conditions). He found them very forgiving, responding well to PMTS movements, and a legit replacement for the classic SuperShape as a great tool to learn PMTS. Perhaps he will comment further on their characteristics.
Erik

Postby theorist » Sat May 14, 2016 11:49 am

Does the iSLR use metal in its construction (two tip-to-tail metal sheets)? Also curious whether the pre-KERS Supershape used metal.
theorist

Postby geoffda » Sat May 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I liked the ski (in a 170 cm). The ski can be summed up in two words: turny and forgiving. It will not make a GS turn, but it is great at making short turns. The tip pulls the ski into the turrn and the radius tightens nicely with continuous tipping. It does both brushed and full carved turns easily and well. Like Erik said, the ski is very forgiving and I was particularly impressed by the gentle release. No matter how much you wind the ski up, it won't buck you. In my mind, that makes it an excellent choice for a PMTS learning ski. It rewards aggressive tipping with a tighter radius, but the skier is never in danger of generating more release forces than they can handle. It skis well off piste and should be very good ski for bumps (particularly for those who are trying to learn). At the high end, the ski feels stable at speed and it responded well to very aggressive skiing. I didn't have a chance to try the ski on hard snow, but I suspect it will brush very easily, but require a fairly high level of skill to hold a clean arc. This looks like it would be a great SuperShape replacement for most skiers. Very high level skiers may prefer the KERS-enabled consumer iSL for its quickness and snappier release. OTOH, very high level skiers who don't want to work that hard may find the iSL to be a good choice.
geoffda

Postby Erik » Sun May 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks Geoff - great description!

theorist wrote:Does the iSLR use metal in its construction (two tip-to-tail metal sheets)? Also curious whether the pre-KERS Supershape used metal.

The SuperShape (circa 2009) used a metal alloy called Liquidmetal, a proprietary alloy from the company of the same name.

The iSLR uses Head's world cup sandwich construction, using Titanal, an aluminum alloy.
Erik

Return to Gear