What to rent if there is no head equipment& Scuffing on boot

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

What to rent if there is no head equipment& Scuffing on boot

Postby Eiszapfen » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Hello,

I want to teach my brother how to ski, but the ski shops in the area do seldomly have head equipment and we do not want to buy stuff until he decides that he likes it.

What are the options concerning other brands ranked from second best to worst (skis & boots)?
(especially regarding Salomon, Atomic, Völkl, Stöckli for Skis and Salomon, Dalbello for boots)
Last edited by Eiszapfen on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eiszapfen

Re: What to rent if there is no head equipment?

Postby Eiszapfen » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:59 pm

BTW , I just noticed there is severe scuffing on the inside of my head raptors. I seem to cut my boots every time I do phantom move. Does this ruin the boots? Or is the plastic thick enough?
Eiszapfen

Re: What to rent if there is no head equipment& Scuffing on

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:42 pm

Eiszapfen wrote:BTW , I just noticed there is severe scuffing on the inside of my head raptors. I seem to cut my boots every time I do phantom move. Does this ruin the boots? Or is the plastic thick enough?

Ski edges cut a hole through my last 2 pairs of ski boots. I now use several layers of helicopter tape on top of the helicopter tape I place a cut strip of plastic from a yogurt container that I tape over with several layers of duct tape. The duct tape will get cut up fast though if the plastic is big enough with tape holding where the edges do not come in contact with the tape the tape will hold the plastic in place to protect the ski boot. The duct tape need to be replaced when needed & a high quality duct tape needs to be used to stick.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:02 am

I also put a layer of helicopter tape on outside edge of ski boot near ball of foot since there is some wear from side of boot coming in contact with abrasive snow/ice
Darren

Postby ErikCO » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:27 am

Eventually you will probably cut through the boot but, unless you are in a cheap recreational boot, I'd imagine you will need new boots due to the plastic getting brittle and cracking before you have problems with cutting through the boot. I'm 5 years in to my current Head RS130s (each year I have skied 30+ days) without any problems. And yes, the insides are quite cut up. Actually, what I have had more problems with is cutting up the insides of my ski pants and ruining them!

As to rental equipment, that is not an easy question. Rental boots generally suck. You just have to go with what fits the best, unfortunately. They are made to almost fit everyone and actually fit no one. :) Without specific models of skis, you won't get much of an answer. Too much variation from model to model. Best bet is probably going to be looking for something that is <70mm underfoot (72mm in a pinch) and, if your brother is of average height, a length in the 160-165 range. They won't be ideal, but its likely the best you are going to get.
ErikCO

Return to Gear