DPS Phantom 2.0 base treatment

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

DPS Phantom 2.0 base treatment

Postby gozoogle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Has anyone used this treatment on their ski bases? Does it stiffen the ski in a way that makes it worse for PMTS movements?
gozoogle

Re: DPS Phantom 2.0 base treatment

Postby HighAngles » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 pm

It is simply a more permanent replacement for regular ski waxing. It has no impact on ski stiffness.
HighAngles

Postby alpinebaseline » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 am

Has anyone treated a pair with it? Any good?
alpinebaseline

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:46 am

I have not myself but the shop at my home mountain has used it some on certain skis. I think for everyday skiing on normal conditions it will save you time if you wax regularly and it seems to work fine. I was told it wasn’t great in super cold conditions but you can fix that by waxing with some extreme cold powder (but that adds work that most are trying to avoid by using this). The last I checked on the price it seemed pretty high especially if you have more than one or several pairs of skis. The cost of a block of wax is diminimous abd it will last for at least a season or more depending on how often you wax.

And on that note, I am only waxing every 10-12or even 15 ski days. And when it’s super cold skis are best with no wax (haven’t been waxed in 10+ ski days) or new wax with extreme cold powder. I have lots of skis, so the cost seemed absurd vs what I am currently doing. If I had one or two pairs I would probably do it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Daren » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:41 am

I ski where the snow is cold & icy & to me it seams phantom does a very good job of preventing base burn. My view is based on the base of my ski right next to the edge does not seam to wear as fast. When the base of the ski wears next the edge so that when you run your finger nail across the ski base & edge. I find when your finger nail catches the metal edge because the harder steel then the base wears faster it is harder to brush carve. I have never ran any scientific study to confirm my thinking on this. It is just my observation based on the amount of skiing I do to the amount of wear on my ski base. Not based on a properly conducted scientific study. Though the manufacturer of Phantom did tell me when I phoned & asked that Phantom does make the base harder. Along with the better slide & harder base it seams rocks cut into the base less also.
Daren

Postby kenw » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:41 am

I treated my only pair (iSpeeds) a year ago, and have been satisfied with the result. The bases do seem a bit harder, but not noticeably stiffer or otherwise bad for PMTS. Nice to not worry about bringing wax on trips, though I did still put some on for the summer, I figured it would help prevent rusty edges.
kenw

Return to Gear