Hirscher retires

Hirscher retires

Postby blackthorn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Apparently announced very recently on Austrian TV. One of the greatest skiracers of all time.
blackthorn

Re: Hirscher retires

Postby jbotti » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:12 am

For those that watched Roger Federer look old and get beat at the US Open, its nice when you see an athlete exit at the top of his game. Hirscher had nothing left to prove in the sport and he leaves as the greatest technical skier ever with some records that will take decades to be beaten (if ever).

It also add great excitement to the upcoming WC season because for the first time in eight years, no one knows who will win the overall.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby ErikCO » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:59 pm

jbotti wrote:It also add great excitement to the upcoming WC season because for the first time in eight years, no one knows who will win the overall.

As much as I hate to see him go, it is going to be very interesting to see how things play out. Without him as the "obvious" winner, seeing how the younger guys will push themselves will be interesting and exciting. And by quitting now, hopefully he will still be able to walk without severe pain by the time he hits 50!
ErikCO

Postby jbotti » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 pm

If I had to make a wager right now, I would pick Pinterault. He finally had a boot and setup that was working last year and he really worked his A off getting back to a top 5 slalom guy. With Hirscher gone he should be the best at GS and he dominates the combined events which can mean some big points and wins. I also like his skiing better than Kristofferson's who is clearly a star and very fast. And yes, a lot of young skiers (along with Alexis and Henrik) will see this as a real opportunity that did not exist as long as Hirscher continued to dominate.

Should be a really fun season!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby BrettBPotter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Well I certainly don't know how to ski a gate or a thing about slalom racing but that French kid Noel who beat him twice in a row seams like the new kid on the block! Its going to be a beautiful thing to see. And as JBotti said about Fed getting beat the other night, in this day and age it's nice to see him leave at the top of the game. I can't remember the last athlete to retire in top!
Jus saying
BrettBPotter

Postby blackthorn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 pm

I MA'd as many Hirscher runs as I could get hold of. I don't buy into greatest type stuff - although for me, emotionally, in my vintage, my heroes were Stenmark and Killy ( met him once ).

Using the PMTS lens "Did Hirscher do anything new?" or just do things better?
I think the latter.

But now a new interest for this years FIS indeed!
blackthorn

Postby ComprexX » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Not sure Hirscher did anything "new", but he is definitely the most complete skier of his generation and one of the most complete ever- incredible technique, athleticism, competitiveness and fitness. It's rare to see such a combination of all 4 areas. He executed the fundamentals with more mastery and more consistency from gate to gate, race to race, year in and year out than any of his competitors. He put it all together better than almost anyone else ever, and for longer.

Not to be argumentative and for certain, Hirscher is a fantastic skier, one of the greatest ever. But, Stenmark had more wins than Hirscher and was every bit as much a technician as Marcel. There are a few others in my book with similarly stellar technique, for one-Marc Girardelli. His technique was impeccable in all 5 disciplines, and he won in all of them- something neither Hirscher nor Stenmark accomplished. Agree with you about Pinterault- he seems primed to make advantage of the opportunities created by Hirscher's retirement. Will be interesting to see who can fill the void left, though I will miss watching Marcel and Felix's skiing.
ComprexX

Return to Racing