Come on, Man!

Friends get together

Re: Come on, Man!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am

h.harb wrote:Truly amazing how little these people know about expert skiing. They are teaching people to be become, permanent mediocre skiers. And alignment gets thrown out the window. They can't even tell the difference between one ski turn and the other, in peoples turns.

Based on the MA I've seen lately around Epic and Facebook, this is par for the course.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm

His first comments about "the ski being tangent to the arc" seem believable. Then he blows it by saying that is done by steering -- *any* active pivotting/twisting of the feet will *by definition* imply that the ski is not tangent to the arc. I stopped watching 2 minutes in.... yes, I dared to gaze upon the extension in the Hi-C.
BigE

Postby skijim13 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:15 am

My wife and I went to the Projam in December to maintain our certification, our trainer was a head coach at big mountain in the Northeast. The two key things he kept teaching everyone was to twist your skis at top of the turn for speed control, and to use a wider stance for carving. He then taught leapers as way to ski ungroomed terain and moguls, but yet he was making turns with his feet close together in the ungroomed terain. He told both my wife and I that our feet were too close together, when I told him that he uses a narrow stance his comment he aggreed that in moguls and ungroomed terain you use a narrow stance by said in carving and medium radius turns the stance should widen. I tried to show one of our race coaches at our mountain PMTS since our racers ski using TTS movements, but it was not well received to say the least.
skijim13

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:33 am

skijim13 wrote:I tried to show one of our race coaches at our mountain PMTS since our racers ski using TTS movements, but it was not well received to say the least.

This is why I stopped trying to change people's minds years ago and started to focus only on improving my own skiing.

HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Besides, they teach it all already... just ask them, they'll tell you!
BigE

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 pm

This is why I stopped trying to change people's minds years ago and started to focus only on improving my own skiing.

"Like"
h.harb

Postby deicreo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:58 am

Posting that because of that poor kids, forced to do that ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CsiLULn2w&list=UU6xW9uWQi0xDs0F9CRjsqYA that thing did not want to be embedded
Thought that leadership requires more than that. Is it not in complete contrast to PMTS?
deicreo

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:53 am

Here is the above link embedded for your displeasure....

go_large_or_go_home

Postby deicreo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:51 am

Thanks go_large
deicreo

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 am

Sorry I don't need to watch I already see the logo and know it will be crap.
h.harb

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:20 am

I wonder if those coaches fall into the "culpable negligence" category?
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:I wonder if those coaches fall into the "culpable negligence" category?

I've seen young racers doing these drills. Earlier this season I played dumb and asked the following questions:

Q: Why does your coach have you doing this drill?
A: I think it is supposed to make us turn faster.

Q: Do you think it is helping to make you faster?
A: Not really. It isn't how we ski in a course.

This came straight from the mouth of a U14 racer that I ski with regularly. The racers know this shit isn't helping their skiing. If they speak up though, the coaches just respond - "yes it is, you don't know how to do it properly". B.S. Athletes do know when something is helping them or not. The coaches associations simply don't ask for unbiased athlete feedback because they are afraid of the answers they will get.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:21 am

The Coaches ass. both in US and Canada, wouldn't know what questions to ask, they are in the condition known as "group think". Except the Coaches Ass. has not taught them how to think, only to blindly follow, sounds like another skiing organization I'm familiar with.

I love the references to all the private coaches for the top world cup women skiers. Lewis is always talking about how changing coaches, it's helped Maze and how Schiffrin's coach is keeping it simple. This is all at the Head game level, they aren't doing much for their skiing. Maze's ex-coach was also her boyfriend, that's a common scenario and very damaging when it doesn't work.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Warning if you want to ski at Swindler's mother and Blackhead.
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:38 pm

:D Not bad but when it comes to Hitler and skiing:

CO_Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Social Chatting