2012/2013 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Want to ski with other forum friends? Form your Posse and post your invite here.

2012/2013 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Postby dan.boisvert » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THESE DETAILS ARE NOW FINAL

When: February 9-10, 2013
Where: Sugarbush - Warren, VT
Who's Invited: Forum posters, lurkers, spouses, kids, friends, dogs, goldfish. Everybody's friendly and this is a social thing--all are welcome!
Admission Fee: $0

Lodging info:
Waitsfield Inn
5267 Main Street, Route 100
Waitsfield, VT 05673
(800) 758-3801

Tell them you're with the PMTS group. I've got a hold on all the rooms they have left which should, in theory, be enough for everybody who has confirmed. Please PM me if you have any trouble.

There are more rooms available at another inn just up the road if we run out so, if you haven't confirmed yet and decide you want to go, we should be able to find somewhere for you to sleep. :D

Lodging rates:
Varies by room, around $150/room/night

Lift tickets:
We didn't hit the numbers for a group buy, so you're on your own for lift tickets. Sugarbush's eTicket has the best online deals I'm finding right now, with $150 for a 2-day ticket: http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-skiing-snowboarding/ticket-prices/lift-ticket-pricing

Additionally, if you're near (or will be driving past) any of these stores, they may have tickets cheaper: http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-skiing-snowboarding/discount-lift-tickets/offsite-ticket-discounts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks,

It's that time of year again, and I'm in the process of assembling the logistics for this year's meetup. I have the usual question for you:

--Is there some reason I've missed that the weekend of February 9-10 is a terrible idea?

I'm currently investigating the option of Stowe for this year's shindig, which might be a nice change if I can get the pricing down to what I'd consider reasonable. If I can't, we'll be back at Sugarbush again with the same logistics plan we've used for the past couple years.

If you've never come to one of these before, the idea is we all hang out and ski, put faces to names, and generally have a good time. If you're interested and/or have questions, please post in the thread or send me a PM. Any group pricing discounts depend on the number of confirmed people we have going so, if you want cheap lift tickets, it helps everybody if I know you're coming well in advance.

I look forward to seeing the usual suspects, as well as some new faces this year!

Dan
Last edited by dan.boisvert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dan.boisvert

Re: 2012/2013 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Postby meput » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Dan,

As one of the usual suspects: Alright! Bring it on! Be there or be square!

Stowe or Sbush works for me. The dates should work for me. Stowe might be fun as I have not skied there since the '50's but I understand that crowds can be nasty there. If it is at Stowe, I may be able to get there a day early and torment one of the vocal locals. I think I can recruit a new player/skier to attend. My daughter will be a question until closer to the actual date to see if her medical school commitments will allow.

Thank you for doing the organizational work for these events.

Jim
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby ToddW » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm in.

PS thanks for delaying a week from our conventional date to avoid conflict with the superblue camp.
ToddW

Postby midwif » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Oh man, I have work that entire weekend. :(
Boxed in, schedule wise, so no switching that I can see.
Stowe would have been nice to experience again.

Have a great time guys. :mrgreen:

Jim Meput
Your daughter definitely needs to go so there is some estrogen to cut thru all testosterone! :D

L.
midwif

Postby meput » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Lynn,

The dates are almost 2 months away. That is plenty of time to work out changes in call/work schedules in the medical world. Besides you are not trying to get coverage for a vacation/holiday date. Just do it and bring Jim while you are at it. Look at what Todd did last year to get there. He got the defendant to plead guilty and therefore release Todd from the jury so as to make the NE roundup.

If Dan decides we will be at Stowe, I want to be a fly on the wall as the vocal local tries to separate your hips/pelvis from your spine.:twisted:
Just say the word and I will bring a video camera and document "the grand experiment/experience". :mrgreen:

If you and Jim don't make it, we will not have all of the "usual suspects" that make the NE roundup such a great weekend.

Looking forward to seeing both of you.

Jim
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby midwif » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Meput

I know you will be able to harken back to your past.
Jim and I will be returning from a week of skiing the sunday prior.
And I am taking the last weekend in february off for continuing education........a conference which
just happens to be at Beaver Creek this year!
So, I am boxed in as far as working 2 out of 4 weekends.
Sucks, big time.
All those wasted weekends just delivering babies, educating on birth control, treating uti's etc. :roll:

I have 24 hr day//night on friday and am on sunday. If I can find the switcheroo, I will do so. But don't have presidents day weekend off to negotiate with.

It's really annoying having a profession that never completely sleeps.

[b]But the video of me getting my "lesson" at Stowe could have been a hoot!
Josh is a good egg, IMO. Just raw.
You in for a few bucks for his HH lesson? :twisted: /b]
midwif

Postby ToddW » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 pm

meput,

Looks like midwif has already used all of her get out of jail free cards to ski I-70. She's grown soft with these western sojourns (3 planned for this season) and probably no longer has what it takes to ski the East. (Or just maybe she's protecting our fragile male egos by not showing off her newfound abilities after her recent Bob Hintermeister session :) )
ToddW

Postby dan.boisvert » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

So, the deal with Stowe is that we can get 2-day group tickets for $118, which makes for $59/day. The catch is that we need a 15-person minimum, which means I need that many confirmed people ahead of time, because I'm going to be committed to buy that many tickets.

There are lodging options with pricing the same as what we've been paying at Sugarbush, so I think this will work out great, provided I can get that many solid commitments from people in advance.

So, what I need from you guys is for everybody to RSVP ASAP, and tell me how many people you're bringing. Once we cross the 15-person threshold, I'll confirm with Stowe and provide the hotel arrangements, and we'll be good to go. Since Stowe's normal lift tickets are ridiculously expensive ($92), I think this is a pretty sweet deal, and probably the only way I'd ever ski the place.

PLEASE GET ME YOUR RSVP WITH THE # OF PEOPLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Thanks, folks!
dan.boisvert

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 am

Hi Dan, is White face an option i could be there for one day the 9. I have to deal with Express Tour$77 , ski ticket bus included for one day from Mtl and that weekend Stowe was not available. I will be very interested to meet all of you. Let me know
Christian
jepoupatout

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 am

Stowe has great terrain...it's big problem is that it doesn't have the isolated expert lift, everything brings you back to the base area quad or Gondola, so skiing the last 500ft of vert on a saturday can be a real drag as you navigate through a corridor of gaper hordes.

59 bucks a Day for Stowe on a weekend is a screaming deal, good work Dan. Stowe is a great ski town area so apres is fun.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 am

jepoupatout wrote:Hi Dan, is White face an option i could be there for one day the 9. I have to deal with Express Tour$77 , ski ticket bus included for one day from Mtl and that weekend Stowe was not available. I will be very interested to meet all of you. Let me know
Christian

Hi Christian,

Whiteface could be an option for another year, but it's too late to make the change for this year. I've already told a lot of people it would be in Vermont, and don't have time to try to change that now. Can you get a bus to Montpelier? We'll have a bunch of people going through, and I'm sure your schedule will line up with somebody's, so they can pick you up on the way. If your schedule lines up with mine, I'd be happy to pick you up.

Dan
dan.boisvert

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 am

Hi Dan, is Montpellier in Outaouais road 315 if so i have a possibility because i will leave Mont-Tremblant the 9th early in the morning . Let me know
Christian
jepoupatout

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 pm

jepoupatout wrote:Hi Dan, is Montpellier in Outaouais road 315 if so i have a possibility because i will leave Mont-Tremblant the 9th early in the morning . Let me know
Christian

I'm not familiar with that road, but the Montpelier I meant was this one: http://goo.gl/maps/F8EdH
dan.boisvert

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 am

Hi Dan, i was not looking at the right Montpellier, how far Montpellier from Stowe?
I plant to come by car finally, what's the agenda for this year, i saw on your post of last year you had a guess that came entertaining you at lunch time about PMTS what's about this year?
I am unfamilliar with that type of event and i think that's a great idea for people like me that does't know anybody in his area that practice PMTS to join a group with similar interest to join for a day or two.
Normally during an event like this what happened? Do we ski altogether or we split by level of skill or we do free ski all day, do we have a leader that entertain us about PMTS.
U
jepoupatout

Postby dan.boisvert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Montpelier is about 30 minutes from Stowe.

We had a couple guests who joined us last year. Glen joined us again, and we also had a guy named Kamden who we were hoping to recruit to work with recreational skiers (he was a FIS racer with low points, and has since gotten out of racing).

The trouble with bringing guests is that this event is free, so we're reliant on their availability and generosity. Glen has mostly gotten out of the ski business since last year, and doesn't even have time to work with all his existing clients, so he's not available to donate a weekend this year. In order to book him this year, I'd have to charge a fee for attendees and, after talking it over with some of the regulars, it seemed to be a better idea to have this gathering as a purely social event, and talk to people about setting up a mini-camp separately for those who want instruction (and are willing to pay for it).

The general plan is that we all meet up at the hotel around breakfast, socialize, then head to the mountain to ski. We usually ski the first run or two together, and then split into groups. Ski all morning, try to find everybody for lunch, ski all afternoon. Then we'd typically head back to the hotel for showers and/or a quick dunk in the hot tub before dinner. We all head somewhere for dinner, and then head back to the hotel to hang out, have a few beers, etc. It's a social thing, and pretty free-flowing. The people are friendly, stories are funny, etc. In past years, Glen has helped us out with drills and stuff while skiing. I'm not sure if there will be any of that this year, but there will be some folks around who've been doing PMTS for a long time and would probably be happy to answer questions about stuff.

There isn't a leader, really. I'm the organizer, which means I mostly just focus on trying to make sure everybody gets to meals on time. :mrgreen:
dan.boisvert

Next

Return to Posse