An Open Invitation

PMTS Forum

An Open Invitation

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm

I know there has been interest from a lot of Toronto based skiers, as well as possibly some other Eastern/Mid-Atlantic based skiers, to ski with another PMTS skier. This is an open invitation to those skiers to come to Holimont for a day or a weekend to make some turns. I usually only ski weekends, but the mountain I ski at is private, so you're guaranteed great snow for the entire day with slopes that are often empty (not uncommon to find fresh groomed at 3 or 4pm). It makes for a great environment to learn to ski well... everything from steeper groomers and bumps, to flatter beginner and intermediate terrain for drills. I'm happy to coach, shoot video, drill, or simply make turns, show what PMTS can do, and then have a few beers and enjoy the apres ski party. I know at least one skier from this forum who will likely come into town in March for a long weekend of skiing... Half of our membership at Holimont is from Ontario... so Ontario skiers have no excuse!

For those who don't know Holimont is here:

Cheers 8)

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: An Open Invitation

Postby HighAngles » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 am

Interesting... 1 hour from Buffalo, 2 hours from Rochester, and 3 hours from Syracuse. I'm out in that direction for my job every now and then. I might need to come up with a reason to head back out. :wink:

Southwest flies Denver to Buffalo direct and also starts service to Rochester 4/14 (probably a little late in the season for the East coast).
HighAngles

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 am

I will be very interested but its too far from Qc 10 hours drive but if eventually you want to organise something at White Face Mountains is has deal by bus from Mtl with Xpress tour that i can manage with for a one day trip.
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 am

What a wonderful offer! Heluva is a high level race coach and anyone spending a day with him is going to learn a lot.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 am

Reverse invitation to Helluva, Max... and whoever else fits the bill

If you're ever out our way at Mammoth Mountain.... http://www.mammothmountain.com/

We have a whole posse of PMTS skiers who would love to ski with, and learn from, you.

Miles, Bev, Paul, me... and I'll bet jbotti would even make the trip if he knew you were in town...

We'd even buy you lunch! (maybe dinner, too!)
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 am

Isn't Mammoth crowded?
Max_501

Postby marsound » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 pm

That is a heluva offer.

Sorry, someone had to say it :wink:
marsound

Postby polecat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Max_501 wrote:Isn't Mammoth crowded?

It's a big mountain. There's plenty of room.

Come on out and see.

pc
polecat

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

polecat wrote:It's a big mountain. There's plenty of room.

I had heard it was very busy during weekends. Nice to hear thats not the case. A bit far for me though given that my home mountain is only 30 minutes away.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 pm

How about Bristol for you eastern guys with Helluva, it's got at least 1000ft of verticle?
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:45 pm

arothafel

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:06 pm

h.harb wrote:How about Bristol for you eastern guys with Helluva, it's got at least 1000ft of verticle?

Bristol is a sweet mountain. I love racing there. It is however mobbed on weekends. The crowds make it a less than ideal learning environment. Holimont is like a mini YC. I've never skied a public resort like it.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Sorry, of course I was thinking mid week. I don't ski weekends. Sorry, I though no one else did either. You Ontario guys should suck it up, when I was racing and training, all the guys on the Ontario Ski Team used to drive from Toronto to Mt tremblant, for weekends, 6 hours each way. How soft have we become? At Stratton, Vermont, people drove every weekend from New York City, 5 hours each way. Where is the dedication? I know gas is expensive, so borrow a Prius.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 pm

h.harb wrote:Sorry, of course I was thinking mid week. I don't ski weekends. Sorry, I though no one else did either. You Ontario guys should suck it up, when I was racing and training, all the guys on the Ontario Ski Team used to drive from Toronto to Mt tremblant, for weekends, 6 hours each way. How soft have we become? At Stratton, Vermont, people drove every weekend from New York City, 5 hours each way. Where is the dedication? I know gas is expensive, so borrow a Prius.

I probably have a few more years of real work before I can ski during the week! Holimont during the week is literally like having your own private mountain (technically it is your own private mountain). I've skied the race trail for an entire morning during the week and actually had to stop skiing it and move to a new trail because my own ruts were getting too deep...

BTW - everyone fro NYC still drives to Stratton and Mt Snow... man... you want to see crowds - ski Mt Snow during the Christmas holiday. :shock:

HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Heluva,

I'd love to take me and at least one of the kids down one weekend for this very generous offer, but sadly their race teams have priority.

Someone *please* take him up on this!!!
BigE

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System