Self-teaching PMTS for the First Time Skier?

PMTS Forum

Self-teaching PMTS for the First Time Skier?

Postby 75phoenix75 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 am

Hi all,

My wife and I went to Okemo for our first time skiing last month. We loved it. Two days on the slopes and barely off the bunnies. At 42 years of age, our aspirations are modest - we will likely always be recreational skiers but would like to be able to ski well. PMTS skiing looks like beauty in motion to my eyes.

Given that I live in the Northeast where there is no PMTS instruction available, do you think PMTS is a viable path for first time skiers (and non-athletes) to teach themselves how to ski relying solely on the books and videos Harald has available? Or would you recommend pursuing conventional training until we have our sea legs and can afford a trip out West for one of the camps? (I'm sure it would be best to start with a Camp but that won't be feasible in the next year or two.)

Thanks for your time and advice!
-Rob
75phoenix75

Re: Self-teaching PMTS for the First Time Skier?

Postby nickia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Rob,

I started skiing few years ago and have been mostly selft taught (one lesson from tts school and one lesson from John).

I think I can speak for others when I say "skip the TTS lessons" and learn from the books and DVDs. You'll only waste time , money and develop bad technique when you go with TTS.

Here is what I think would be the fastest path:

1. Purchase anyone can be expert skier 1, 2 (both books and DVD), Essentials (both book and DVD) and read them
2. Learn the phantom move from book 1
3. Learn railroad carving from Essentials Tipping DVD
4. Train with your wife so you guys can film each other's and get instant video feedback of your movements

With this approach, you will develop the ability to go slow with brushed turn and go fast with edge locked carved turns. I think this will build you some foundation prior to camps.
nickia

Postby RRT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi Rob,

I ski Okemo, Sunapee and Wachusetts. I had previously skied for many years. So, five/six years ago when I caught on to PMTS, I had lots and lots of relearning to do. Still do. You're in a better place if you haven't already cemented in some bad habits. I second the need for video and good instruction. If you want to get together to share, let me know.

Bob
RRT

Postby l2ski » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Rob,

Doing it alone is hard.
I know because I've been working mostly alone for three season.
However I agree with the above in that taking a TTS lesson is a waste of time and money.

Purchase the books and e-videos, and read as much as you can.
However, your on snow work should begin with Book 1, page 1 which is often stated by
the experts on the forum. Take video of each other doing the drills. That's
how you can verify if you are doing them correctly. You can post videos
and receive help on this forum. You have an advantage because there are two of you.
Watch the video that goes with Book 1, many times. The free online
lessons on youtube are also excellent.

Book 1 can entertain you
for many seasons. Your goal should be mastering the exercises
in each chapter on easy terrain. Then master them again on the next level, etc...

Also, try to find skiers who practice PMTS in your area and connect with them.

Things that you should focus on, which are all in book 1:

1. 1 footed balance
2. Tipping the ski on and off the edges (Chapter 2)
3. Releasing (Chapters 4 and 6)
4. Phantom move (Chapter 5).
5. Staying centered over your skis (fore-aft) by flexing the ankles and pulling the feet back.

I included #5 because nothing else works well if you are too far aft;

Also, I had my alignment done by Harb Systems when I first started learning.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to go to a camp.

Good luck.
l2ski

Postby 75phoenix75 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:46 am

This is great - thanks for the thoughtful responses. Based on your advice, I won't bother with TTS lessons and feel like I now have a very good road map to start out with. Much appreciated!
75phoenix75

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:30 am

My wife and I live in the Northeast and Ski at Blue mountain ski area in Pa. Come to our mountain and I will help you with PMTS. I have spent a great deal of time studying and training on the topic. Both of us have been to three camps and are former ski instructors that keep our PSIA certification for the discount lift tickets only.

Jim
skijim13

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System