Off piste - technique and tactics

PMTS Forum

Re: Off piste - technique and tactics

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 am

I love HH's short blog on pow, that along with Expert skier 2 and the Deslaurier books were real eye openers about effective off piste technique.

And it rings true even with top free skiers. Check out marcus caston in this short, in-bounds powder segment from tahoe last season. You can see the technique,

B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Funny story, Marcus was climbing solo at French's Dome near hood 2 summers ago. I was with Harrison, he recognized me and introduced himself. He asked, are you Harald Harb, and I helped him on one of his climbs, now we are friends. He likes PMTS.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Bounce for this season. Lots of good info on ripping off piste here.
Max_501

Postby blackthorn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm

When skiing off piste I'm prepared to flex at any time. I never know when I might run into a bump that will challenge my balance or toss me into the air. I try to time terrain absorption with a release.

The key is to flex aggressively to absorb the bumpy terrain...

and then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges.

This is from Max501 in the first page of this thread with two great images. I can't seem to copy these through, maybe someone else can.

Max says "then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges."
My question is - "what movements are used to achieve this?"
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm

blackthorn wrote:I can't seem to copy these through, maybe someone else can.

and then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges.

blackthorn wrote:Max says "then drive the skis right back down to the snow while tipping to the new edges."
My question is - "what movements are used to achieve this?"

After the flex to suck up the bump I extend my legs so the skis stay on the snow while simultaneously tipping for the new turn.

Harald has a blog post that has some great pics showing the timing: http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2011/ ... pping.html
Max_501

Postby dougtee » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 am

Max_501 wrote:After the flex to suck up the bump I extend my legs so the skis stay on the snow while simultaneously tipping for the new turn.

Harald has a blog post that has some great pics showing the timing: http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2011/ ... pping.html

those images were extremely helpful for me in further visualizing pmts in skiing the bumps. what i found i really struggle with is stiffening the body at extension and not being able to smoothly transition back to absorption, any guidance for drills to work on that particular skill?
dougtee

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am

Alignment and video.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:07 pm

The goal is to have even pressure of the skis on the snow for terrain absorption.* The legs are like shock absorbers. Some times extended, sometimes retracted. Sometimes moving rapidly. Never stiff.

*I know...flex to lighten, flatten, tip to turn the other way & allow the legs to extend--the 2-footed release. That's a release, not terrain absorption.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:44 am

Ken wrote:*I know...flex to lighten, flatten, tip to turn the other way & allow the legs to extend--the 2-footed release. That's a release, not terrain absorption.

In PMTS we are taught to time the release with absorbing the bump so the release and terrain absorption are usually the same.
Max_501

Postby dougtee » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:39 am

h.harb wrote:Alignment and video.

video is a goal for next season for sure. as for alignment planning a special nyc to colorado trip in november for that exact purpose!
dougtee

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System