The Transition

PMTS Forum

Re: The Transition

Postby famattjr » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:01 pm

h.harb wrote:You don't want my words for this approach. For this to be effective pick and use any words you like. First, you have to know what movement you are trying to trigger, for example, one of the Essentials. For fore/aft balance I use "pull", this reminds me to keep my inside foot back. That's an example. Pick the movements you want to keep happening and then choose a trigger word for yourself.

Interesting in that I have used the thought of "pull" myself as a reminder to keep that foot back. But lately I have gotten confused in as to whether is this a matter not of keeping it back, but of not letting it slide too far forward? And just keeping tension on it. Because that inside ski, as it enters the fall line and then comes around, does go ahead of the other ski and the knee goes ahead of the other knee. See that picture of Felix at "Check Point 11 Inside foot management all planes." viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4290
famattjr

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 pm

famattjr wrote:Interesting in that I have used the thought of "pull" myself as a reminder to keep that foot back. But lately I have gotten confused in as to whether is this a matter not of keeping it back, but of not letting it slide too far forward? And just keeping tension on it. Because that inside ski, as it enters the fall line and then comes around, does go ahead of the other ski and the knee goes ahead of the other knee. See that picture of Felix at "Check Point 11 Inside foot management all planes." viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4290

See this thread - Inside ski pullback
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 am

Somewhere I read on this forum about letting your skis actually slide forward a bit and THEN use a sharp pullback movement to initiate the turn. I can do this on a green/easy blue run...

I don't know if this is a good PMTS practice or not. But it IS fun to play with your skis. Lift/lighten, tip and "ride" the uphill little toe edge, release, let the skis slide forward and pull your feet back. It is this exaggerated fore/aft sliding movement that makes it clear to me I am actually pulling my feet back.

Essentially, it is Harald's static foot pullback drill but done dynamically while skiing.

As well, again for me, the foot pullback is what really sets up a turn in steeper terrain. The ski effortlessly comes right back across the fall line.

Now if only I could hold my CA and CB during the transition!!
Vailsteve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:28 am

Vailsteve wrote:Somewhere I read on this forum about letting your skis actually slide forward a bit and THEN use a sharp pullback movement to initiate the turn.

I'm pretty sure the fore/aft shuffle transition is referenced quite a bit in Essentials and the Essentials DVD series... isn't it?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Vailsteve wrote:Somewhere I read on this forum about letting your skis actually slide forward a bit and THEN use a sharp pullback movement to initiate the turn.

Expert movement used mainly in off piste skiing and racing.

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic ... 955#p40955
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm

First, in the Felix photo, he has the inside foot pulled back, this is evident by the tip of the ski touching. It may look like the inside ski is forward, but this is an illusion. Because his inside hip is forward the leg and ski look more forward relative to the outside ski. He is doing it perfectly. His hip position is also perfect CA.

The forward lean angle plays heavily into successful inside ski pullback maintenance. If your boot is too upright even for the load from the outside ski, you will never bend the boot forward enough with a light inside ski during pullback. This is where the majority of coaches get it all wrong about soft boots. I have said this many times before here and in my books and writings. You don't bend the plastic. You set up the boot for correct angles then you use it for support, not to bend it or flex it. Flexing a boot is just ridiculous.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Sun May 31, 2020 3:54 pm

blackthorn wrote:When I think about it, I haven't ever really used trigger words as such. However, I am going to try and see if they work for me when I ski in the northern hemisphere next month. Maybe I should do some dryland exercises on the slopeboard with skiboots on in the meantime.

I found this article fascinating. Are trigger words used as a distraction or a focus on the task in hand?
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1750984X.2017.1408134

I think that for my skiing I tend to choke when things get difficult for me - so if trigger words help then that will be great. Obviously I also need to improve my movements at all levels.

Sometimes I'll show skiers what the movement looks like and ask them to describe it in their own words. If I don't agree with what they say we'll review it, and I'll ask for another word or phrase. When they come up with their word that gets the movement we're working on...that's their trigger word for good results.

Sometimes the choke results in delay of the needed movements; not much goes right after that. If that's the case then review the timing needed to make the necessary movements. Your trigger words might be something like, "Do ____ NOW!"
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System