The new PMTS Pole swing and timing method.

PMTS Forum

Postby h.harb » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:07 pm

One of the sloppiest aspects of skiing is pole use. Pole use gets very little mention or respect in ski teaching. It should be one of the really important develop tools of your skiing, as you can see, if you go back into my previous books there is always a pole use section. I think pole use can build or destroy everything you are working for. It’s more than a refinement or an after thought. I used to spend hours with my racers on their pole use.

Pole use if rarely benign, the movement you use is either really bad for your skiing or it’s helping your skiing.

The real problem is that if you use the wrong plant motion and timing (as demonstrated by the trainer in the video in the other thread) it destroys the end of your arc and it makes sure the beginning of the next arc is compromised.

I’m referring to the reaching forward of the pole planting arm or wrapping the pole planting arm around toward the front of the body through the turn. Both of these movements cause hip rotation that squares up the hip before the release. This breaks out the tails of the skis and eliminates any rebound or energy developed from the arc. It also slows down your reaction and extends the turn in a bad way. You will never be a bump skier without a corrected pole use.

The new PMTS pole use system is very simple. It’s a minimal pole action. Often a simple technique is the most difficult concept or movement to learn.

Basically at the falline (when skis are straight downhill) the hand and arm over the stance ski (outside ski) begin to open in relation to the falline. The forearm should remain in the same relationship with the falline so as if someone who is standing directly below you can see the inside of the arm. That part of the body, (Forearm and hand) stop moving forward and this will happen if you move the hand and arm out to the side. Refer to page 174 and page 123 Fig. 1 in the Essentials book, which show the action of opening the hand and tapping out to the side, rather than forward toward the ski tip. The arm should be a 90 degrees to the skis.

If there is an easy way to understand it, try thinking that there is no swinging your pole toward the tip of the skis. In fact , the skis tighten the radius at the bottom of the arc. In that period of time, the arm over the stance ski should open like a door hinge (away from teh ski tip) relative to the skis and body. This action will cause the ski tips and hand to separate and increase their distance from each other; rather than closing the distance between, that is caused by swinging the pole toward the ski tip.

Also, never move the hand toward the ski tips once you begin closing the radius of the arc in the lower part of the arc.

This system of pole use increases counter acting ability and dramatically increased rebound and energy from the arc. .

I’ve been working on this pole plant for the past two years and in video recently I think I finally had it. I thought I had it earlier, but after reviewing some video I realized I only though or felt I had what I wanted.

The difficultly with this pole system is that it’s almost impossible to learn on your own. You need a friend or a coach with video to show you exactly what is required.

Good luck, if you have questions post them here.
h.harb

Re: The new PMTS Pole swing and timing method.

Postby Tommi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 am

Another super post. Keep these coming.. :D

At Tux08 I could really feel the difference.

I had some problems on a steep bumpy run (soft, too). Diana gave me an
extreme exercise with poling (I won't even say it here because it may
confuse some of the readers) but the net change that resulted from
her advice was that my poling technique changed (tapping further
aft) and the result was awesome! I was blasting the black slope
like a good bump skier.. a real breaktrough.

T2
Tommi

Postby vseh » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:58 am

Will this be demonstrated in the new Essentials DVDs? How are they progressing?
Shawn Richards
vseh

Postby patprof » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:10 am

Harald-do you have some pictures for us visual learners?
Thanks
"I can't dance and I can't fly-but when I ski I can sometimes do both!"
Author Unknown
patprof

Postby h.harb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:13 am

More info on this PMTS pole tapping sysem coming...BTW the pole use in Tommi's avatar is perfect.
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Harald......

As you know... poles are one of the many things I'm working on. I, too, see that incorrect pole position, at least in my case, can be the root of all kinds of other evil things.

Besides practicing on Carvers, is there any kind of static exercise that I could practice to get the "feel" of proper pole placement?

I'm already booked for A-Basin and look forward to learning this!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Can you already make a full revolution on the cycle?

Art
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:22 pm

The 8 Board is one way you can work on the upper/lower body movements indoors. You can use poles with it.

http://www.harbskisystems.com/pivotboard.htm

http://www.grailsports.com/

I know Jack Broudy, the inventor, talk to him he's a great guy. Watch him on the video where he introduces the 8 board. Notice how he begins slowly and then starts to use a hip counter acting movements. You can add poles after you get the hang of it. He says even for tennis and golf use, don't begin with the hands, have you heard that before? He focus is the hips, it's perfect for working the counteracting timing, becasue you don't have to worry about tipping. Obvously when skiing or Harb carving, you would focus first on tipping, then the skis move into an arc, This means the feet move into an arc. Use the same hip counteracting movements as Jack is showing on the board. For bigger ski turns the timing of the hip counter is slower and the counter is held longer.
h.harb

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:37 am

Max501 has pole plant just like Tommi!

niiiice
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:15 pm

BTW, Monster, thanks for the great humor in the other thread. Picking names, the wrong name, can bite one in the --s.
h.harb

Postby Kiwi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 am

Awesome Harald

I will try this on the snow tomorrow. I'm going to try and get some video of Julia and myself to post for feedback.

Kiwi
Kiwi

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Timing wise, when should the pole tip touch the snow? Just before? At the same time? or just after starting the release?

I bolted the carvers on yesterday and found that releasing into the touch felt good, ie touch the tip just after starting the release rather than a more gross wrist movement.

Am I off on a wrong tangent? haha

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Monster you are great and also right!!!
h.harb

Postby jclayton » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Harald ,
with all the energy and rebound you already had before , what differences do you feel in the release and in the counter now with the modified pole plant ? Do you use this in all conditions now ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby François » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:45 pm

h.harb wrote:The new PMTS Pole swing and timing method.

One of the sloppiest aspects of skiing is pole use. Pole use gets very little mention or respect in ski teaching. It should be one of the really important develop tools of your skiing, as you can see, if you go back into my previous books there is always a pole use section. I think pole use can build or destroy everything you are working for. It’s more than a refinement or an after thought. I used to spend hours with my racers on their pole use.

Pole use if rarely benign, the movement you use is either really bad for your skiing or it’s helping your skiing.

The real problem is that if you use the wrong plant motion and timing (as demonstrated by the trainer in the video in the other thread) it destroys the end of your arc and it makes sure the beginning of the next arc is compromised.

I’m referring to the reaching forward of the pole planting arm or wrapping the pole planting arm around toward the front of the body through the turn. Both of these movements cause hip rotation that squares up the hip before the release. This breaks out the tails of the skis and eliminates any rebound or energy developed from the arc. It also slows down your reaction and extends the turn in a bad way. You will never be a bump skier without a corrected pole use.

The new PMTS pole use system is very simple. It’s a minimal pole action. Often a simple technique is the most difficult concept or movement to learn.

Basically at the falline (when skis are straight downhill) the hand and arm over the stance ski (outside ski) begin to open in relation to the falline. The forearm should remain in the same relationship with the falline so as if someone who is standing directly below you can see the inside of the arm. That part of the body, (Forearm and hand) stop moving forward and this will happen if you move the hand and arm out to the side. Refer to page 174 and page 123 Fig. 1 in the Essentials book, which show the action of opening the hand and tapping out to the side, rather than forward toward the ski tip. The arm should be a 90 degrees to the skis.

If there is an easy way to understand it, try thinking that there is no swinging your pole toward the tip of the skis. In fact , the skis tighten the radius at the bottom of the arc. In that period of time, the arm over the stance ski should open like a door hinge (away from teh ski tip) relative to the skis and body. This action will cause the ski tips and hand to separate and increase their distance from each other; rather than closing the distance between, that is caused by swinging the pole toward the ski tip.

Also, never move the hand toward the ski tips once you begin closing the radius of the arc in the lower part of the arc.

This system of pole use increases counter acting ability and dramatically increased rebound and energy from the arc. .

I’ve been working on this pole plant for the past two years and in video recently I think I finally had it. I thought I had it earlier, but after reviewing some video I realized I only though or felt I had what I wanted.

The difficultly with this pole system is that it’s almost impossible to learn on your own. You need a friend or a coach with video to show you exactly what is required.

Good luck, if you have questions post them here.

I would like to concentrate a little bit on pole use next winter.
Which of the many videos of your skiing would be best to help us visual learners?
François

Postby h.harb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Richk asked about when the new Essentials videos will be out. We are working on them now and making head way. Both the tipping and flexing DVDs will be done this summer. If you have my Essentials book there is a series of turns in that DVD that shows the new pole tap movement for carving and gate running.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System