Some Thoughts on the New Monster 88

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Some Thoughts on the New Monster 88

Postby seskelson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Purchased a pair of the new Monster 88, 177 cm., mounted with the Attack 13 demo binding. Some of you may refer back to John Botti's comments about a hear ago when I posed a question about this upcoming model. Having acquired some, for what it's worth, her are my comments:

Current Inventory:
M78 - the good one - had for several years now
Rock N Roll in 180 cm
Monster 88 in 177
Have some others too
I have previously owned just about all models of the various Monsters over the years and about 3 Supershapes and the Icon tt80. Most recently sold my REV 85 pro ( I liked it a lot) and previously had the REV 80 Pro ( I did not care for it that much, I had hoped it would replace the M78 -- I don't know why the difference in feel).
In a one word review of the Monster 88: Wow. Much better than the REV 85. LIghter in feel, quicker edge to edge and terrific edge hold -- it is a Head ski after all. Plenty of float -- obviously a wide ski for PMTS. But, it is tremendously quick edge to edge. Feels to me like a ski about 70 mm in the waist. That is the most amazing part. For me in my patrolling activities this is the best one ski quiver I have. In John's comments he felt they overlapped quite a bit with his Rock N Roll. For me, not so much. They stand on their own right Still love the R N R and edge hold is about same, but the new Monster just feels so much quicker -- but not harsh at all. And yes, as you will have seen from other comments it is light years different than the old M88, which we all did NOT like.
One final unrelated comment: picked up a new K2 Pinnacle 95 178 cm as well. I have a bit of an in with a friend at K2 and the price was terrific ( I'm the local ski patrol rep for Head as well) and wanted to try it. I was highly dubious of the rocker. Of course it has "won" lots of ski tests this year- hah. Tried them on two days and sold them. Got my money back- so no loss. No one should be tempted to think they are in the same category as the R n R or the Venturi. The first day I skied them on the same day at Grand Targhee as the new Monster 88. My friend said you look much happier on the Monster. My reply: I am.
Enough said.
Hope you are all having a good season.
seskelson

Re: Some Thoughts on the New Monster 88

Postby seskelson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Sorry for a couple of spelling typos.
seskelson

Postby Louis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:31 am

Thanks for the review! I guess I will try them out this season, as I currently only posess a pair of iSS and I'm looking for a ski which I can take off piste on snowy conditions. BTW, I'm 184 cm tall, should I get the 170 or the 177?
Louis

Postby jbotti » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:17 am

I also own the Monster 88. Wonderful ski. I would say that "Feels to me like a ski about 70 mm in the waist" is an exaggeration but it does feel quick and certainly quicker than the 95 waisted RNR. For skiing in the Rockies this is as close to a one ski off piste quiver as may exist. A skilled PMTS skier can carve/arc this ski nicely on groomers. It will ski soft bumps, chop and light fluffy (Rockies) powder easily. Can't see ever owning just one pair of skis and if I had to ski only one ski it would probably be my TT 80s or my new ISL's, but this is pretty sweet at 88 under foot.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Gene P » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Louis - I have the new Monster 88 and used it for the first time today in moderate powder conditions. I acquired it to replace my old Monster 78 which has finally surrendered. Snow is finally falling for the first time this season in Europe. I agree with all the performance comments on this thread; the M88 is a great ski. I was surprised just how versatile it is both on and off piste; extremely responsive to tipping and all other PMTS movememts. I have the 170 length (I am 184 cm also and about 80KG). Unless you ski in very deep powder, this length is fine. Good luck with your decision. Gene
Gene P

Postby Louis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:48 am

Thanks for your thoughts! It is really time for more snow here in Europe, I was in Hintertux in December and it was pure ice, but it should already be better by now.
If the conditions are fine (and I think they will be) I will test the M88 in march, when I am in Sölden.
Louis

Postby seskelson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 pm

John, is right of course -- "feels like 70 mm" is an exaggeration. But, it still conveys the feeling of what I was seeking to express. Compared to other skis of that waist width I have tried nothing seems close. My weight is about 188 and my ski length is the 177 cm.
seskelson

Return to Gear